ESET Splash Screen stays up for >30 seconds

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by MindTwisted, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MindTwisted

MindTwisted Registered Member

When Windows XP is starting up, ESET Smart Security's splash screen now stays open for about 30-60 seconds (during which time my entire system is virtually unresponsive). Sort of like it is waiting for something to timeout. When ESET was loading correctly, the splash screen used to only stay up for about 5-10 seconds. I tried a complete uninstall/reinstall, but no luck. How should I troubleshoot this?

Specs:
    Win XP64 SP2, all updates installed.
    ESET Smart Security ver 4.0.424
    Windows & ESET Firewalls completely disabled, Comodo firewall installed.
    One on-board network adapter, no wireless adapters or other lan cards present.
    No connection sharing or proxies.

Plz let me know if more detailed specs are needed :cool:

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Is there any decrease in the time to get to a working Desktop if you disable the splash screen?

What sort of network connection does the computer have?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. MindTwisted

I tried disabling the Splash screen, but that didn't seem to make a difference. The computer is on a cable broadband connection.

4. agoretsky

Hello,

Is the computer directly connected to the cable modem, or is there a residential gateway router or other device between them?

Does the problem occur only when the computer is powered on, or also on reboots as well?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. MindTwisted

The PC connects to a wireless router, then to a gateway, and finally to the cable modem. IP info is assigned to the PC via the wireless router. Also, I am not using ESET's firewall, instead Comodo's firewall is installed. ESET's firewall has been completely disabled.

Cold boot or reboot doesn't seem to affect the splash screen time, either way it's about 30 sec.

6. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello

Have you tried setting update to run on discovery of a dial up connection via the scheduler?

You could also try unchecking "automatically detect network settings" under LAN in Internet Options. This worked (miraculously) for me on a machine with XP SP3.

philby

7. MindTwisted

I unchecked every scheduled ESET task, and only checked the "automatic update after dial-up connection", but that didn't speed things up at all. So, I tried unchecking EVERY scheduled ESET task, and that still didn't help. It seems like this problem is not related to ESET's scheduled tasks.

I use DHCP to acquire my ip info from my wireless router, so I cannot disable "automatically detect network settings" without it causing other problems. Although, you might be right, I know ESET has given me trouble in the past over DHCP assignment, DNS addresses in particular (ya know, that little DNS cache poisoning attack bug that's been present since v3). Again though, ESET's firewall is disabled, so it should not be involved or concerned with my network addresses and/or acquisition.

I just don't get this...I'm not even using ESET's firewall, and even with startup tasks (updating & scanning) disabled I still get the 30-60 second splash screen. What other part of ESET Smart Security could be causing this startup delay? I would understand if ESET's firewall was waiting for a network timeout, or the updater was getting stuck or something, but with the firewall inactive and tasks disabled I can't think of what else could be causing this. A virus scanner could/should not have the priority to seize total control of my system for 30-60 seconds at startup. That in itself is a serious security concern!

BTW, this spalsh-screen startup delay is also happening on my wife's laptop. The laptop is using the same version of Smart Security, but without Comodo, just ESET (firewall enabled). So, the problem is not isolated to one PC. I guess it could be a network problem since both computers share the same network, but when ESET is uninstalled, everything works fine. So I'm still leaning towards blaming ESET for the slowdown.

I already had to get rid of ESET's firewall and switch to Comodo for proper functionality, maybe a new virus scanner is needed too. I can't stand security suites that are bloated, take minutes to load, and destabilize my existing network. It's like the nightmare I had dealing with Norton a few years ago. I thought ESET had a better product than this. Bah, what a pain o_O

Also, the PC has an AMD dual core @ 3Ghz with 2 GB of ram and a nearly T1 speed cable internet connection. So, the problem is not on the hardware's end.

8. CivilTaz

CivilTaz Registered Member

If you are not using Eset firewall, why don't u try the antivirus version only to see if that helps you with the problem.

9. MindTwisted

The only reason I am using Comodo, is because ESET's firewall doesn't work very well. As soon as ESET fixes the problems with their firewall, I would like to resume using it. I could try a NOD32 only install, but that doesn't fix the problem I am having, it may work around it, but that's it. I want an actual fix for this problem so that if ESET ever fixes their firewall's craptastic performance that I can get rid of Comodo and switch back to using Smart Security only.

EDIT: Also, NOD32 doesn't have the antispam protection that Smart Security has.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  10. CivilTaz

CivilTaz Registered Member

Exactly, but for testing you could try installing EAV and see if the problem persist, because you say that it could be the firewall part that is having the problem, so if u install the antivirus only, and notice the problem again, then maybe is not only a firewall problem.

11. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello again

OK, I understand your point re. LAN settings.

The exact same boot-lag problem was manifest with both Nod32 and ESS on all 3 of my machines. Both s/w seem to try to update at boot whatever scheduling settings you apply - and ekrn.exe leaps into action before your network connection is made. (I mentioned the dial up option as this was recommended a while ago by ESET support here as a possible fix - this didn't work for me either.)

Providing you don't need to share files with your wife's machine, killing the workstation service via services.msc is a definite fix. I have done so on my XP machine and ESS does not delay everything anymore.

Not satisfactory, but I hope this helps.

philby

12. MindTwisted

Thanks for the Workstation service tip; unfortunately I do share files with the other laptop, so I guess I still need to look at other solutions too o_O

13. agoretsky

Hello,

There is probably a conflict between the ESET Personal Firewall modules and the Comodo firewall.

To test this, I would suggest uninstalling both programs, then installing ESET NOD32 Antivirus (your ESET Smart Security license will let you download it) and Comodo's firewall.

Does the ESET NOD32 Antivirus splash screen stay up for the same amount of time as ESET Smart Security's did on the compuer?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

14. catnotspam

catnotspam Registered Member

if the problem continues open
    ESET smart security->help and support ->Consumer Care support request
    and tell them your issue *puppy*
    and they will help

hope i helped

evgeny*puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.