ESET Smart Security blocking USB Devices

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by efrancesco, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efrancesco

efrancesco Registered Member

I'm not sure whats going on but for some reason ESS is blocking all USB devices from connecting. So far I've tried connecting my cell phone and thumb drive, neither worked. Its only when I disable the firewall & real-time system protection that the devices are able to connect. In some cases, I'm able to get USB devices working by simply disabling the firewall. So if I have to narrow down the problem I would have to go with the firewall. But there is nothing in the firewall options that mentions USB devices. Does anyone knows what is going on?

2. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

I have had an issue past week or so with disconnection of my WD My Book Ext HDD using the WD Software that runs in Notification Area.

It simply does not work and and I have to press and hold the button on rear of drive.

Just now I disabled (due to your thread) Real Time Protection and it worked 1st time, I tested it a further 5 times but now it works with Real Time Protection re-enable so I will need try it on a Windows reboot later and through the course of the week.

Next time it fails to disconnect I will disable Real Time Protection and try it again.

3. efrancesco

That's somewhat the problem I'm having. I connect a USB device and the computer won't recognize it at all. I usually have to disconnect the USB device and disable the firewall/real-time protection and then re-connect the USB device. Windows is then able to recognize the device and it works fine from there. I always turn the security back on after I've reconnected the USB device but ESS doesn't interfere anymore.

I freezed(DeepFreeze) my computer and fiddled with ESS settings to make them more liberal but it hasn't yielded any favourable results.

4. TONPumper

TONPumper Registered Member

Perhaps this is why my computer won't boot when my EXT is plugged in...

5. efrancesco

TONPumper, this problem also extends to SD cards when booting but oddly enough its a ESS4.2/Windows 7 problem for me, I have another computer that is running ESS4.0/XP and it doesn't block USB devices.

What OS are you on?

6. TONPumper

TONPumper Registered Member

I use Windows 7. I'm able to connect my devices.

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  8. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

Ok after a few days mines is all working again.

So why did it stop working for about 1 week and what has changed to fix it again ?

I can tell you my PC has had no windows Update or any program add/removes in past week all that has changed is my updates from ESET.

I am going to need to put it down to definitions made changes that cause it then fixed it at a later date (I am unsure if any Modules update in Test Mode).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.