Eset NOD32 Online Scanner Deletes Files!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by maiki, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maiki

maiki Registered Member

Being unhappy with my current AV app (Symantec Corporate AV 8.1), which for the last year or so has detected a lot of false positives, I thought I would try NOD32 online scanner, to see how it does.

Well, NOD32 found a lot of false positives as well. (Probably a trend with most AV apps now, no? As they try to get a higher"detection rate", they also get more false positives. Anyone know which get less false positives?)

When SAV finds what it thinks is malware, it quarantines (by default), or can even be set just to notify you of what it found, without automatically doing anything, other than the notification.

With the NOD32 online scanner, one is not given any choice of what to do, if it found what it thinks is malware. It will just delete completely whatever it thinks is malware, without asking the user about it at all. Not sent to recycle bin, but completely deleted.

So now, I am using undelete software to try to recover files deleted by NOD32 in the scan.

Really--users should be asked before files are deleted from their system!

2. danieln

danieln Eset Staff

Well, it's true that ESET Online Scanner is asking only in the begining if to delete the flagged files or not.
    However may you collect the false positives and submit them? One FP is maybe worse than 100 undetected trojans - my opinion.

3. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi,

I'm glad you were able to deal with some undetected unwanteds on your system.
    If you wish to operate the ESET Online Scanner in 'report only' mode, just leave the check box marked 'Remove found threats' in the default un-checked state and you should be fine.

Screenshot - 9_01_2009 , 4_45_37 AM.jpg

Indeed - there's some links for dealing with 'false positives' in the FAQ here.

Cheers :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

EOS2 will have active rootkit detection and will also be able to quarantine files. I don't believe ESET would detect a lot of false positives. Could you please submit those files in a password protected archive to samples[at]eset.com for perusal? Even files that appear legit may be infected with a virus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.