ESET Mail Security for Exchange 4.2 Hanging Exchange & Outlook

Discussion in 'Other ESET Business Products' started by AndrewGVS, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

Marcos - Would this refer to SBS 2008 only? or any Windws Server 2008 servers running ESMX?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It concerns any Exchange version running on Windows 2008.

3. AndrewGVS

AndrewGVS Registered Member

What about 2008 R2?

By the way, my original issue for this thread, the excessive TMP files, it appears to hang the server once it reaches 65,535 files in C:\WINDOWS\Temp named NOD####.tmp

Not that it should be creating and leaving these there, but I guess 65,535 is some logical limit in ESMX, because it's not on a 2003 R2, NTFS file system.

I'm told this is corrected in the next version of ESMX, until then will have to ensure they're cleared out.

4. mkrstanovic

mkrstanovic Registered Member

is this the hotfix that potentialy solves WFP issue?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979278

I have the same problem(among others) on Exchange 2007 with Eset Mail Security and I am considering purchase of another antivirus software.

5. cosmith

cosmith Registered Member

I just want to add that I have been running EMSX4 for almost a week now without issue by renaming the epfwwfpr.sys file. Thank you for sharing the fix.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hard to say as we haven't received any feedback if installing this WFP driver rollup package made a difference and Microsoft is still analyzing the dumps we provided them to pinpoint the issue in their driver. At any rate, renaming the EET wfp driver should definitively fix the issue. The next version of EMSX allow for unregistering the ESET WFP driver from with the gui. Other security products most likely don't take advantage of the Microsoft WFP and thus would not exhibit this issue.

7. rrawson

rrawson Registered Member

Hey Marcos,

Does the new EMSX have this feature? I'm looking through the advanced setup tree and I'm not seeing a disable WFP option.

Thanks,

Ryan

8. rrawson

rrawson Registered Member

Well the .20 update of EMSX didn't fix the problem. I still had to go rename the .sys file to prevent it from crashing.

9. sebasm12

sebasm12 Registered Member

Nice improvements are made in ESMX v4.3!
    I just installed the BETA (v4.3) and however it is listed that the WFP driver can be disabled, I can't find the option. Can someone tell me where I can find it?

/edit: Or is it just the main option: "Enable web access antivirus and antispyware protection"?
    /edit2: Never mind, it is somewhat hidden. You can find it under Advanced Setup -> Computer protection -> Antivirus and antispyware -> Protocol Filtering and disable both options.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  10. morser

morser Registered Member

Hello,

This thread has gone quiet in the past month, but it is exactly what I am dealing with now.

Exchange 2003 SP2 4 node cluster. 2 active Exchange instances.

On the 2 active nodes I have Eset MS Exchange 4.2.10020.0. The two passive nodes have nothing for now incase they are needed for failover while Eset is tested. And are they needed. I cannot keep Exchange running on the active nodes very long before a hang/crash, and the passive node takes over. The most notable change I have made in the configuration is turn background scanning OFF. Learned that from 2.7.

I would like to give a description of what is happening. Yesterday, I rebooted active node #2 to prepare it to receive the Exchange Instance #2 which has Eset for MS Exchange 4.2.10020 installed. I moved the Exchange Instance #2 to active node #2 around noon. The application log shows no major issues throughout day. At 10:04pm the application log began showing ESE errors; cannot read to edb, cannot write to edb etc. All client access to server is not possible. At this time the Cluster service starts reporting SMTP Virtual Server instance is not responding to “IsAlive” check. The cluster begins to shut down the Exchange Instance, and it takes a long time because it cannot end store.exe process. The Exchange Instance #2 eventually fails over to passive node #4 and runs no problem. On node #2 (which is the Exchange node where Eset and Exchange were during this recent failure) store.exe is actually still stuck in memory. If I try to reboot this server it will hang on shutdown.

I can repeat the above issue.

I have an ESET case opened on Dec 31st. the response I got to the above crash was that a recent update caused the problem and a reboot is all that is needed. The case continues as I provide more information.

Do others still have problems as described in this thread? Did we give up posting about it? Did I miss the party? :D

Thanks in advance. Hoping that Eset 4 will give me the same reliability that 2.7 did.

11. morser

morser Registered Member

Update:
    I received a response from Eset support stating that I should go over http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2144, "What are the recommended settings for ESET NOD32 Antivirus installed on a server? (4.x)"

I have performed the suggestions in this document for Exchange and excluded many many items; most were already excluded. inetpub was not.

Eset version 4 claims to be "Exchange aware". If there are recommended settings for Exchange version x, then during installation or first configuration a prompt should come up listing the recommendations, and have an option to make them for you.

Will try again this evening to put Exchange back on node with Eset version 4.

12. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.