eScan v10 beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

MicroWorld has started the beta program for eScan version 10.0, all the preliminary posts say is that this is a major release for MicroWorld and that they have tried very hard to ensure that this product stands apart from the rest. I do, however know that they do have scan engine improvements and a real personal firewall integrated into the suite version of the product with this version. Has anyone tried it? I would appreciate some information with screenshots.

http://download1.mwti.net/wiki/index.php/Beta_Testing

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hmm, no replies?

I did a little fishing around and I came across a little PowerPoint presentation. It is more of an improved version rather than a new version per se. Nothing has been said about the AV engine so I assume it is still using Kaspersky.

eScan v10 contains a real personal firewall - their eConceal product. Even the AV version has it so there will no longer be AV-only version it would seem. The main difference between the suite and AV are the additional functions such as parental control, pop-up blocking, browser security, etc.

There is a redesigned real-time AV monitor with caching technology, and a "proactive scan" which searches for suspicious applications running in memory (runs before every on-demand scan too apparently). The interface shots I saw were not too fancy, the classic eScan white and blue colours with a KIS 6.0 type interface.

However, overall it does look pretty good - lets wait for the release version :)

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I can't give info (no help file) but , I can post some screen shots. During the install, eScan preformed a quick scan which stated that the AV engine is powered by Kaspersky.

Main interface

1.png

Kinda looks like Kaspersky 4.X

2.png

Email Scanner Settings

3.png

End Point Protection options

4.png

Here is end Point blocking a couple of apps that it just downloaded from Majorgeeks.com. I think it just blocks apps the same way Vistas UAC does... I'll have to ask at their support forum when I have time.
    5.png

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Here is End Point Protection in action again. During the install eScan asks you to create an admin password. Then End Point uses that password to prompt you to either allow or deny the execution of unknown exes.
    6.png

If you don't type in the PW the end Point Module will block the exe. You have 10 seconds to enter the password before it blocks it.
    7.png

Scan options
    8.png

Here is eScan detecting a password stealing tojan using the on-demand scan. By default it deletes the file. Just like KAV 4.X you can set the scanner to make a backup copy of the file before deletion.
    9.png

5. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Thanks, NAMOR :thumb:
    The software is good, but ye'old KAV engine is still its Achilles Heel.

So has the scan speed and resource usage decreased ? They state that they have done improvements to the engine...

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Sorry vijayind,

I didn't get a chance to do a full scan. I had to used rollback rx to roll my system back, for some reason my HP laptop with Vista Home Pre SP1 kept locking up. I can tell you that boot/shut down down times were ok, no slow down. The Web Protection seemed to really slow down my browsing with Firefox but, IE was fine. Vista's Security Center kept telling me that eScan was out of date even though it was updated. The firewall seemed ok, it actaully kind of reminds me of f-secures firewall in the way app control and rule creation looks and works. I think I will wait till the next build before playing again.

7. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Thanks Namor for the screenies and thanks also to Firecat for starting this thread :thumb:

8. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Thanks, Namor.

The last time I did their trial, it slowed down the test PCs considerably. Striking it off our enterprise protection shortlist. Maybe v10 will be a revelation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.