Escalating Popup Issue!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by MikeL0954, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeL0954

MikeL0954 Registered Member

Hi, my name is Michael and I only recently joined this forum but it seemed extremely reliable in getting insight on removing adwares but I tried every method I've read on the forums (including using Hack This and Spybot) but I've never removed the problem yet and it sometimes seems it only worsened the problem. My popups I received aren't the same as normal and change each time I remove them, I'm pretty sure it's because of a program except I never pinpointed it but all help would be "extremely" appreciated.

Problem: 8 popups each time a browser is opened or refresh is used.
    6 popups per 15 mins. (even when I idle!)
    4 attempts to download viruses per 30 mins or so!
    4 popups each time I attempt to exit a popup before it fully loads.
    8 popups when I attempt to full screen anything.

When I first started cleaning I only received a 2 popups but I stopped when my popups became 8. :ouch:

Hack This Log:
    <snip>

HJT log removed - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2006
  2. MikeL0954

MikeL0954 Registered Member

Sorry about the thread, forgot to read the note before making this thread. :blink:

3. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As a side comment to that hijackthis.de link. In our view that service should not be used except by those experienced in what is presented. Also....as noted in this thread....Merijn the author states a user "shouldn't rely solely on the automatic parser since it's pretty flawed".

Bubba

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

...as to the pop-up issue itself

I could be wrong, but let me just take a wild guess...you use internet explorer? Firefox seems a lot better for avoiding adware installations, and has good adblocking extensions.

It sounds like you do have some malware installed, did someone suggest Castlecops to check your hijack this yet? There are other good sites, maybe someone can recommend.

I haven't use any specific adware products much because A/V's and A/T's and firewalls seem to do the trick.

If you are using Spybot Sand D you might want to press tools and then see if there are any new (bold) or suspicious BHO or Active X items. you can also look at your list of autostarting programs with S S and D, also running processes. even though I seldom use it to scan, I like the tools!

It also might help to have spyware blaster (free) if you don't already. It can stop somethings from running even if pressent.

Other than expert help, you could try free or trial heavy weights like KAV6, NOD32, Trojan Hunter, Ewido, A squared.

Just a few thoughts, Good Luck!

-HandsOff

6. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Yesterday I looked at somebody's machine and immediately D\L'd
    www.SuperAntiSpyware.com
    Click the Blue rectangular icon for free version.
    It picks up, "Not just the easy ones". I have used it for 12 months or longer
    and it's good, updates almost every day.
    133 Trojans-Trackers-Tracers and other assorted maggots it picked up yesterday.

HTH,

Regards.

7. lasu

lasu Registered Member

hi MikeL0954,
    if you are using IE may i suggest you bring up IE and click on 'tools'. then click on 'internet options', click on the 'privacy' tab. then click the 'advanced' button. put a check in the 'override automatic cookie handling'. in the right hand column, 'third party cookies', put a dot in the circle next to 'block'. put a check in the box at the bottom 'always allow session cookies'. click 'ok'. on the next screen make sure there is a check in the box next to 'block popups', at the bottom, and click 'ok'. now that will block some of the nasties when using IE. as mentioned above SpywareBlaster is very good and might i suggest you also install SpywareGuard from the same site. i also strongly recommend Firefox for your browser.
    i just find it difficult to say microsoft and security in the same sentence.

L

8. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I had to get rid of Firefox, due to some strange problems and am back to IE6. I was getting hammered with pop ups on a couple of forums (disc.server) that I frequent.

All I have is IE's popup blocker, nothing else. It wasn't getting the job done at all. I solved the problem for now by downloading XPAntispy and disabling Windows messaging, along with a lot of other things. I think many of the popups need windows messaging to work. Anyway, I haven't had a single pop up since disabling it.

9. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I would recommend you download and run the free Dr.Web CureIt Utility. It can be found at www.freedrweb.com. Remember, the first scan is a memory scan, you must then check the appropriate scan, from the tree above the open scan window. I would also recommend the free AVG 7.5 Anti-Spyware program for occasional scans, along with Dr.Web CureIt.

10. muf

muf Registered Member

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

or go to services and set it to disabled.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.