errorwriting to sector 2

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vinay, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinay

vinay Registered Member

Hello,
    I downloaded the Acronis TI 9.0 Home trial version. I tried to do a clone of my current 30 GB hdd (C:\ 23 GB and IBM_SERVICE 5 GB) to a USB 2.0 external hdd of 80 GB (C:\drive mapped to 20 GB and IBM_SERVICE mapped to 5GB, rest unallocated).
    As soon as after completing the configuration, i click on reboot i get a message saying "operation cancelled". Though after reboot TI goes ahead and starts the process only to fail while copying at disk 2 sector 63 and onwards.

This is a R50e Thinkpad.

Can you please helpme with what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    Vinay

More information: IBM_SERVICE is a hidden drive.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Do you plan on replacing the 30GB drive with the 80GB drive? If not, you don't want to clone the 30GB drive you want to make an image of it. Cloning is for a replacement drive. Imaging is for backing up a drive. You can store several images of your 30Gb drive on the 80Gb USB drive allowing you to restore to various times if needed.

Reformat the USB drive if there is anything on it and retry TrueImage but select the Backup option and then "entire disk or partition," and let us know how that worked.

Before making the image, run CHKDSK /R or Error Checking with both boxes checked to correct any errors on your 30GB hard drive.

3. vinay

vinay Registered Member

Helo John,
    Thanks for the response.
    Yes, i'mplanning to replace the 30 GB with the 80 GB.

I have run chkdsk /F on the 30 GB drive before to no avail. I'll try chkdsk /R also. I have also run PCDOCTOR on the destination drive as well as source drive. Both are reported fine.
    Windows disk managemnt shows the external drive as E:\ 74.53 GB NTFS healthy. I have performed a full format on E: before as well.

What i need to do now?

Thanks,
    Vinay

4. vinay

vinay Registered Member

i tried cloning again after running chkdsk /R on both hdd1 and usb hdd2. Still the same error. It says "cancelling openration" always. The most frustrating thing is that most of the time it says "Error: Disk not found". Once in a while it finds the disk an then gives the unable to write to HDD2 sector 63 and onwards.
    Should i try some other software rather than acronis to accompish my task?
    I've almost wasted 1 day for this without accomplishing anything.

-Vinay

5. jmk94903

Since the USB drive is new and has been formatted as one partition with no errors, I'm assuming that the disk errors are on the older 30GB drive and are actually errors reading the drive at Sector 63.

The error may be in the 5GB IBM Service partition on the 30GB hard drive. I assume you want to keep the partition. Since no drive letter is associated with it, so you can't check it with standard tools. That's why CHKDSK /R didn't fix it.

In TrueImage, try to make an image of just the IBM Service partition to the USB drive. If there are errors, you know this is where the problem is.

If the problem is with the IBM Service partition, and you can't repair it, you can delete the partition, but you will lose it's contents. You may be able to clone successuflly at that point.

If not, you can create a small partition in the space formerly occupied by the IBM Service partition and run CHKDSK /R on the new partition's drive letter.

I think you will have to correct the errors with the 30GB drive before any program can successuflly clone it, so keep working with TrueImage for now.

Let us know the results.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  6. vinay

vinay Registered Member

how do i take the image of just one partition?

Thanks for all the help.

7. jmk94903

In TrueImage select Backup instead of Clone. For the source drive (the one to be backed up) uncheck the boxes for the Entire drive and the C partition. That will leave only the IBM Service partition checked. Continue from there and make the image to the external drive.

Since the IBM Service partition is only 5GB, this should be a pretty quick backup if it is successful.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vinay,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file. Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.