Errors said hard disk problem, but could it be sata connectors?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Larrybaz, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larrybaz

Larrybaz Registered Member

I have a new build and had problems this morning. Got back up and attempted to do drive backup with Paragon and Macroum Reflect. They both stopped and gave an error code. When I googled it said hard disk problems. I am now running a disk check with a hard disk Checker and so far it is reporting 356 errors and it is nowhere near done.
    This is a new Western D. Black Caviar.
    I guess I just want to make sure that the sata connectors couldn't cause a problem before returning drive.
    I have had quite a few problems after a windows update, but contacted Microsoft and got that problem fixed.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

whatever the cause may be that new drive shouldn't have that many errors. Let them replace it.

3. wptski

wptski Registered Member

You can download the free WD Data Lifeguard disk checker from their site.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't know if they somewhat corrected the problem but early SATA connectors were not known as great connectors. I read that the design life was set at 50 insertion cycles.

I had a problem with another imaging product giving verify errors and it turned out to be a marginal cable or connection. I was able to see references to this problem in the Windows Event Viewer. IIRC it showed up as parity errors and tracing the Event Viewer information further came to the recommendation to replace the SATA cable. A new cable did fix the problem.

I would definitely try reseating both ends of the cable and/or trying a new cable. You could also try a different SATA port too.

Of course, the disk could be bad. According to manufacturers a common cause of problems with new disks is improper handling typically shocks from being dropped during shipping or other handling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.