Errors installing LNS 207 on Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by jseeley, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jseeley

jseeley Registered Member

Hello all! this is my first post again. I participated in this forum years ago when I bought Nod32. But I forgot my UN and PW.

I really need some help from you pros on installing LNS 207 x64 on my Win 8.1 x64 system because I'm having issues. I've been racking my brains on this for a few days now. I read that some of you have successfully installed LNS on windows 8, and it's made me a bit envious and anxious to get going with it!!

I am receiving two errors which prevents LNS from installing correctly:

Right after installing LNS seemingly without issues(which includes installing "Visual C++ Runtime Libraries (x64) - SP1"), I receive an error that says:

1- "error 0x8004a029: couldn't install the network component"

When I click OK to that issue, LNS asks to restart and when the system restarts and I guess LNS tries to load, I receive another error:

2- "Unable to load the lnsfw driver (Error 0)."

At that point, I have no idea what all this means. After error 2, I don't see LNS loaded(or hidden) in the system tray, but I DO see it listed in the task mgr/start tab. The only other app I have starting with windows which is the only app in TaskMgr/Start tab is Admuncher and of course, I tried disabling it when installing LNS.
    I'm really lost. I have tried a bunch of things after reading other posts here with no difference.

I've tried:

Changing the DNS servers in my Router to open and auto

Re-Enabling the WLAN Auto Config service and WI-FI radio (I had these disabled because I don't normally use wifi)

Disabling these two hidden network adapters under Device Mgr/Network Adapters:
    -Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
    -Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

I did not disable these 3 hidden network adapters because there wasn't a disable option :
    -Microsoft ISATAP Adatper
    -Microsoft ISATAP Adatper #2
    -Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

That makes 5 hidden hidden network adapters, and the only two that are UNhidden:
    -Realtek RTL8188E Wireless LAN 802 11N PCI-E NIC (wifi)
    -Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (ethernet)

--DID NOT SEE ANY LNS terms mentioned in the hidden network adapters after a LNS installation attempt.

Other services I have tried disabling:
    -Windows Firewall
    -Windows Defender
    -Windows Defender Network Inspection

I also disabled all of the Action Center notifications.

I also tried installing LNS 207 x64 in Win7 Compatibility mode and as ADMIN. Still, I receive the same two errors.

I've become discouraged.o_O I'm really not a teckie person. I just came from windows XP a few weeks ago and Windows 8 has been is just DRIVING ME insane.

Any help will be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

To add: I'm unable to use LNS UNinstaller because I can't find it in Win8. But I did use the Look ā€˜nā€™ Stop Remains and Removal v1.02 after a couple of uninstallations. But, the way I see it, I got these errors the very first time i installed LNS on this system so I don't think fully uninstalling LNS will fix the issue the next time I install it. Hmmmm.

Many thanks to all of you who even attempt to read this post :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. jseeley

Well I got somewhere. After Googling, "error 0x8004a029: couldn't install the network component," I found something HERE which suggests to go to the Registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\MaxNumFilters and change values from 8 to 14. Those instructions apply to Windows 7. But this time, I don't get any errors and LNS seems to start at bootup.:)

But, under the Welcome tab, "Connected" is Unchecked and the address is 0.0.0.0. I'm unable to add a checkbox or edit the ip address; both are frozen. All the stats boxes are 0's and 0.00 MB's.

Under the Options tab in the "Network Interfaces" box, it only shows my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Ethernet Controller and it's not checked and I'm unable to check it. Automatic Selection IS checked.

Log tab -Empty. All traffic is somehow blocked(no browser or admuncher connection). I have not seen one LNS prompt asking to enable or block an app. I did add to the Application Filtering Tab: svchost.exe, services.exe and browser but I kind of knew it wouldn't fix this issue.

Basically, LNS kills my internet connection even when it's not running but still installed.

Be back later....need to get out of this house. I'll report back with the complete list(hidden and shown) of network devices when LNS is running.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi. :)

You can't toggle what's in the Network Interfaces list while Automatic Selection is enabled.

I suspect you might want to start with Advanced Options / Network interface autodetect, IP to exclude: filters ... what is your private IP address? 10.o_O??

Would be nice if you could copy and paste the contents from the 'Console' screen after having rebooted Windows.

Regards,
    Phant0m``

4. jseeley

Thank you Phant0m! I re-enabled all network devices to default in device mgr.

That's correct. Under Options tab in LNS, I cannot toggle or select any of the 3 network devices listed while "Automatic Selection" is checked.

On your second point about "Network interface autodetect, IP to exclude"--- I don't quite understand what you're asking. Tthere's a long string of numbers in there: 10;169.254;192.168.0.1;127.0.0.1

Truthfully, I really have no idea about the Console screen or how to activate it. I'm not really a techie

5. Phant0m

Use Windows ipconfig utility to grab your Internal IP address.

Regarding the Console, visit Look 'n' Stop - Options Tab / Screen and temporarily place a check for 'Console' and the Console screen will appear. ;)

6. Phant0m

Look 'n' Stop Help File - 'IP to Exclude': this field is useful if you selected the 'Automatic Selection' of the adapter in the options. Enter here all local IP addresses that Look 'n' Stop must not use to detect the right adapter (such address are 192.168.0.1, 169.254.100.1,...). To indicate a range just enter the first numbers (for instance 10 for all addresses 10.x.y.z or 169.254 for 169.254.x.y). Use a ; as a separator between addresses.

I'm guessing that this might be your experiences now. Why the active NIC isn't being automatically handled with Look 'n' Stop.

Few cases people was with 10.x.y.z address and Look 'n' Stop by default wouldn't apply to their active NIC, so updating the filter and removing 10; would make things better. :)

7. jseeley

There is no ip address. When I login to me router from another pc on the network, it's not showing the PC as a connected device. ipconfig /all shows:
    Host name Windows-8
    Primary dns suffix: BLANK
    Mode type: Hybrid
    IP routering enabled: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Duh.. Here you go Phant0m:

Look 'n' Stop Version 2.07

Driver versions: 5.05 & 4.06
    API Driver versions: 6.01 & 5.01
    [21:18:33] Internet Firewall Enabled
    [21:18:33] Appli Firewall Enabled
    [21:18:33] Security Center registration Ok.
    [21:18:33] Computer isn't connected to Internet.
    [21:18:33] Watch Failed

Fingers crossed.

8. Phant0m

Use ipconfig /all, and grab the IP address under the NIC that's with active Internet.

Yes, you can attach images. However, the Console screen you can highlight everything and press and hold CTRL + C ...keys on the keyboard to copy it all to the Windows clipboard to be pasted into a response post. :)

9. jseeley

192.168.0.4 on my other PC that has access to the internet.
    I fairly sure that the touble PC did have an ip address of 192.168.0.3

ipconfig /all does not turn up an ip address on the trouble PC

Is that what you mean?

10. Phant0m

I think I need to go back and re-read what you had posted.

So since Look 'n' Stop installation, you cannot get Internet access with any client applications (browsers, email and so forth?)

... well, it doesn't appear to be a situation with "Network interface autodetect, IP to exclude" filter then.

11. jseeley

Correct. No access what so ever while Look 'n' Stop is installed(running or not)
    I read the post from the other guy who had a similar issue. He had an Nvidia network card. He ended up buying a new network card. I read a lot of posts here!

I was looking at the "Network interface autodetect, IP to exclude" string. Should my gateway ip address be listed there? (192.168.0.1)

12. Phant0m

Is it only while Look 'n' Stop is installed? or now also after Look 'n' Stop is uninstalled?

13. Phant0m

Yes, because a NIC shouldn't usually be with an gateway IP.

14. jseeley

yes. When I uninstall Look 'n' Stop, I regain full access to the internet. I remember Frederick saying that those symptoms indicate there is a conflict in network adapters or a software interfering with the connection? It's pretty much a new system. No software except for Admuncher(which I have disabled while I'm troubleshooting and LNS

15. Phant0m

Will be needing to have Window capture of Devices Manager w/Network Adapters expanded and Device Manager set to show Hidden Devices.

16. Phant0m

After this change, and re-booted. Did you uninstall Look 'n' Stop and re-booted and re-ran the installation?

17. jseeley

Yes. Always did a clean install of this app and lately using the Look 'n' Stop Remains. exe. Since the initial install directly after the registry tweak, I have clean installed this app about 5 times using the add/remove programs, and then using the Look 'n' Stop Remains. exe and then after a restart, CCleaner.

I really appreciate all of your help and attention.

18. Phant0m

Alright. So while Look 'n' Stop is installed, I'm interested in seeing the image shot of Device Manager while showing the key area ... Network Adapters. ;)

19. jseeley

What's the easiest way to link a photo?? Or can I upload/attach the image here?

20. Phant0m

When making a post, simply look under the Additional Options section in full editor mode and click on 'Manage Attachments' and upload :)

21. jseeley

There's nothing in Additional Options regarding Attachments.

I see:
    Automatically parse links
    Disable smiles in text.
    Thread Subscription

22. jseeley

Now i see it...

23. jseeley

Now i see it...What a PIA. I have nothing to work with. Give me a few. If you need any other screenshots, let me know. I just takes a few minutes to create the screenshot

Attached Files:

24. Phant0m

25. jseeley

No errors while Look 'n' Stop is installed.

OK, give me a few. Thanks. I hope this is what you were looking for:

Attached Files:

• PNP.png
      PNP.png
      File size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.