Error when trying to update

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by skbaltimore, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skbaltimore

skbaltimore Registered Member

I've been using Spywareblaster for years now with no problems. Within the last week or so, I began getting the error message below. Any ideas why that might be happening? I just became a Comcast Cable subscriber and I checked with them and they said there's nothing in their cable modem to block anything, and they are not blocking JC in any way. I'm running W2K and have no firewall installed. The only difference between last week and this week is having joined Comcast. But other Comcast subscribers at DSL Reports say they are not having this problem. Any help would be appreciated. I am running version 3.1 and do have the latest update installed. I'm not having any other problems with any other updates (AdAware, MS Update, etc.)

sk

Attached Files:

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

What is selected under the 'Options' tab?

3. skbaltimore

"Use the system connection/proxy settings"

4. dangitall

Try placing a checkmark in the 'Use alternative download method' box, then try to get the download.

5. skbaltimore

I tried that after I read your prior post. Sorry - that still didn't help. I also did some registry cleaning but that didn't help either. (Didn't hurt; just didn't help). For the time being, it's still a puzzle. And frustrating because I never had this problem before. Sometimes the updates were weird with Spybot S&D, but rarely if ever with SB.

6. dangitall

Hmmm ... where the only difference is that you're now using Comcast, I would suspect a possible proxy configuration problem, but I, too, know others who go through Comcast and have no problems.

Have you tried manually downloading the update files? If not, go here and try that.

It may be time for the 'sledgehammer' approach: have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling SpywareBlaster?

Note: the last update I'm aware of was on 23June04.

7. skbaltimore

:) Been there; done that. Both, actually. I uninstalled/reinstalled, then got stuck further back than 6/23/04, which is where I was before the uninstall/reinstall. Then I went and got each database manually and so now I'm back to square one: I have the latest update, with a reinstalled program, but still keep getting those error messages.

To make life even more interesting, I must have had a bad non-system hard drive that had recently died, because I went to do a PowerQuest Drive Image total system backup to it but was getting error messages that the drive was full; something that was impossible because it was basically empty. Then I rebooted and got a STOP IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL error message. Eventually I put 2 and 2 together; pulled out that hd; replaced it with a spare; and now everything in that regard is back to normal.

I thought maybe that might have had some tangential effect on this problem, but I just checked again and I'm still getting the SB update error message.

Thanks for all your help. For the time being, it's just one of life's little mysteries.

sk

8. dangitall

Sorry I couldn't help. Perhaps Javacool, or someone else, will be able to get you squared away.

9. skbaltimore

That's what I'm hoping. But thanks nonetheless.

s

10. I am encountering the exact problem.I have not made any type of systemic changes/subscribed to new I.S.P. etc.

Most bizarre of all is the fact my software firewall does not alert me to the outgoing connection attempt when I attempt to update Spyware Blaster.It's as if no connection attempt is being made.Very much like something is aborting it immediately.

I did register here twice,incidentally,but like many others,am experiencing trouble logging in/remaining logged in long enough to type anything,so,I have given up.

Great site,though,and I'm full of admiration for all you do here.

11. loginisout

loginisout Guest

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors were cured simply in my case by altering a BIOS setting.

Boot into the BIOS by tapping Del key.Change "Plug And Play Aware O.S" to NO.

Doesn't *always* work,but I'll pass it on incase it does the trick for anyone else.

12. skbaltimore

Just an update to my own original post: I installed 3.2, and hoped that that would solve the problem I'd been having updating. But unfortunately, I'm still getting the same error message. Very odd indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.