Error upgrading from Eset Smart Security4x to v5.x

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by hschut, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hschut

hschut Registered Member

Hey all. I did a search but didn't find what I'm looking for (I may have missed it though).

My licence for Eset Smart Security is coming due shortly (just got a message advising of that). I have another licence for multiple computers with one extra, so I was gonna switch the licence number over to that one, which shouldn't be an issue. I at the same time thought I should upgrade the version I'm using to the newest one 5.x....whichever is on the download site right now.

I ran the install, and it uninstalled the old version (I think) and started installing the new. Almost at the end, it rolled back the entire install, and gave an installation error (no error number listed) advising to try again or download & install the offline version. I did so, with the same result. I then ran the manual uninstall in safe mode, and tried again. Same result.

What do I do? How do I get this thing to install properly?

Dell laptop running Vista sp2, 64bit.

Thanks in advance for the advice. Sorry if this is a duplicate post from the past....as stated I searched & didn't see it...but it's possible I missed it.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please create an install log as per the instructions here, upload it somewhere and paste here / PM me the download link. You can also contact Customer care and provide them with the logs mentioned in the KB article as well as with an ESET SysInspector log.

3. hschut

hschut Registered Member

Will do Marcos, thanks. It'll be later today before I get at that though.
    Harry

4. hschut

hschut Registered Member

5. hschut

hschut Registered Member

In looking thru the log myself, it almost looks like there's a problem with the download....problems installing the file itself. I'm very computer literate, but yet a novice at reading logs like this. Is that possible? I've tried both the 'live' and 'offline' download/install versions, with the same results. hmmmm
    #frustrated

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It looks like a problem with permissions to files c:\WINDOWS\inf\oem*.pnf.

Search all those oem*.inf files for "ESET" and move them along with the appropriate *.pnf file to a new folder.
    Should the problem persist, contact Customer care as additional logs will be needed.

7. hschut

hschut Registered Member

Thank you. I'll try it & call Customer Care if necessary. I'll post back after that.

8. hschut

hschut Registered Member

customer care could not help. They wanted me to change the permissions for the inf folder, and it would not change. at that point she said there's nothing she could do....

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Try downloading both the ESET Uninstall Tool and the appropriate version of ESET Smart Security 5 for your operating system:

32-bit: download.eset.com/download/win/ess/ess_nt32_enu.msi
    64-bit: download.eset.com/download/win/ess/ess_nt64_enu.msi

Uninstalling the currently-installed version of ESET Smart Security 4 from the computer via the Start Menu, running the ESET Uninstall Tool in Safe Mode to remove anything which may be left over and then installing ESET Smart Security 5 using the version you just downloaded.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.