Error loading Win XP (Home)

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by sgjathar, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgjathar

sgjathar Registered Member

I read the review of Acronis Disk Director Suite (ADDS) 10.0 in PC Mag and installed the trial version on my laptop. On completion of the installation, I was asked to restart the system. Wallah!! The laptop booted to show the initial screen indicating loading o/s and then there was infinite waiting. Just like that.

I used a bootable CD to reboot the system but to no recourse. I observed that my HDD structure had changed as follows

Initial Drive Type Size Description Change name
    c: NTFS 53gb main drive e:
    d:(minint) FAT32 4gb restore area d:
    free space NTFS 13gb backup area c: *

* On the first restart found that the names of the partitions were swapped. I booted the system using ERD Commander 2003 and created a new partition from the free area and backedup critical data to this drive.

The error persisted and I further encountered errors such as NTLDR not found and I got indications that the mbr was pointing to the wrong area. Therefore I changed the mbr to point to e:\windows\. However, this did not solve the problem.

I did some r&d at the forum and ran the recovery console from the windows bootable cd. Used the following instruction:

FIXMBR e:
    FIXBOOT e:
    COPY CDDrive:\I386\NTLDR e:\
    COPY CDDrive:\I386|NTDETECT.COM e:\
    BOOTCFG /rebuild to point to Windows XP Home Edition /fastdetect

Now I have a new error on hand ”INF file minint\boot is corrupted or missing, status 14”. I observe that while the system boots the mbr still points to the d: (restore area FAT32) which is not the proper boot device area.

Kindly advice me in this matter, urgently.

-SGJ

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sgjathar,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please be aware that Acronis Bootable Rescue Media can display drive letters different from those the user sees in Windows, because Linux has its own rules of drive naming. This is absolutely normal and there is no need to worry about the difference in drive letters assignment.

Please boot up from the Windows Bootable CD, then go to the Recovery Console (the first Repair option you come to).

From the command prompt please type:

FIXMBR C:
    FIXBOOT C:
    COPY CDDrive:\I386\NTLDR C:\
    COPY CDDrive:\I386|NTDETECT.COM C:\
    BOOTCFG /rebuild

After that, please reboot your computer.

Please be aware that you should not try to perform these operations for the e: partition if your original partition letter was C: .

If this solution does not help then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report.txt file to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.