Error: Failed to write data....

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Rule G, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rule G

Rule G Registered Member

I have this error
    E0070004
    Failed to write data to archive file.
    A possible reason might be poor media quality.

I have a new WD External USB drive. I partitioned it with it's (WD) disk manager utility.
    I have one 330 GB partition that I intend to use for Disk Images. The rest of the disk is another partition that will be used for other storage. Was I supposed to let True Image create the partitions?

Here is a copy of the "Backup Wizard" splashscreen..
    ..................................................................................................
    Create Full Backup Archive
    To file:"Y: \MyBackup.tib"
    Compression:Normal

Operation 1 of 2
    Saving partition structure
    Hard disk:1

Operation 2 of 2
    Creating partition image
    Hard disk:1
    Drive letter:C:
    File system:NTFS
    Volume label:
    Size:74.53 GB
    ................................................................................................
    Maybe the answer lies here, as the above info is a bit confusing to me.
    In Operation 2/2....it states that it will create a partition image...and the drive letter is C:.

So, just to be clear...I want to make an Image of C: (which is a full volume, no partition disk. Then store that ijmage in Y:. I'm not sure that the above info is confirming this or not.

Sorry, If I'm confusing in my description of the situation. I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate and brand new to backing up. LMK whatever info I need to clarify.
    Thank you
    Danny

BTW: logfile is attached.

Attached Files:

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

No, Acronis does not have to create the partitions.

I would suggest you run chkdsk.exe on all your drive--preferably from the Windows Recovery Console--if you have access to the console.

Your description of the spash screen is normal. Refer my Beginners guides below. You can compare to my image B10.

Is Disk Y (330gig) a dynamic partition? Check XP Disk Management function.

Would strongly recommend you assign unique volume names to all your drives.

3. Rule G

Rule G Registered Member

Thank you so much for your response.....
    I printed your guide.

Your description of the spash screen is normal. Refer my Beginners guides below. You can compare to my image B10.

>>Is Disk Y (330gig) a dynamic partition? Check XP Disk Management function.<<

?-What does "dynamic" mean? I went into the management utility but could not find anything. Under "type" was listed "basic" if that helps.

>>Would strongly recommend you assign unique volume names to all your drives.[/QUOTE]<<

I do have unique names.

A new problem has popped up....
    Your guide suggested that my External USB drive be plugged directly into the case. It was not, so I powered down and made it so. Now when I go to the the backup wizard and try to execute a backup, i get a new error...
    something about a scheduled task. A screen shot is attached.

Attached Files:

4. GroverH

Try rebooting the computer after switching the USB connector positions. Rear connector is best in that is directly attached to the motherboard (no cables). On some computers, it does not seem to make any improvements. It also helps to use the shortest usb cable possible. Usually the one which comes with the drive is 4ft or shorter.

The error relates to scheduling. Were you trying to schedule a backup or actually initiate one?
    Do this,
    Click Control Panel; Click Administrative Tool; Click Services
    Scroll down the listing to "Remote Procedure Call" (RPC),
    you should find its status as "Started" and its startup type as "automatic".

Did you do the disk error checking by running chkdsk.exe on all your drives?
    This would help rule out a problem with the drive.

I don't know what you are using to create your screen shots but two very good free programs are FastStone Capture or Printscreen . Both allow you to size your intended image down as small as desired so no unnecessary file size is included. People using 56K dialup appreciate the smallest (file size) images possible to reduce page loading time.

I usually find it easiest to capture the image and then bring the image into my image editor (PhotoImpact) and bring the capture down to the desired rectangular and pixel size. That's how I created the images in my guides. If you want more info, you can find it on the attachments link below.

My reason for thinking you did not have unique names is that there was none listed in your example above--volume name was blank--not that it was needed. I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Thanks for confirming basic disk rather than dynamic.

5. Rule G

Rule G Registered Member

While I wait to hear back from you, I'm going to uninstall/re-install TI to try to start over. Then maybe I'll chop some more ice off my sidewalk to get some aggression out......these set-up problems are driving me nuts.
    Again...thank you for your time and help.
    Danny

6. GroverH

My next thought would be to attempt a full disk backup from within the Rescue CD with the external as the destinatiion. My guess is that the drive letters plays no part in your problems except they will differ from what you see in Windows and what you see using the Rescue CD.

On my system, I have a SCSI CD-RW; two IDE-DVD burners. All 3 show in Windows Mode .
    When using the Rescue CD, all 3 show in full mode and none show in safe mode.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  7. Rule G

Rule G Registered Member

I ended up doing a system restore to before the initial TI install. There was still a scheduling error but I was able to find a scheduled task that didn't seem to be there before. Anyway, I deleted the task and (following your guide to the letter except for identifying my optical drives) did a backup image. A couple of hours later, I saw a splash screen that told me that i had a successful backup.
    Thank you!

-Now...I have 14 .tib files in a folder named for my first image.....is that how it should be?......is that folder with the 14 files my disk image?

-also....when i do an incremental backup to this image, do i keep the same folder as the destination or should i create a new folder for each incremental?

-also.....I disabled my antivirus before the backup....could that be part of it?
    -also.....should i adjust my power settings befor a backup so that my disk does not shut down or my computer into sleep or standby?

8. GroverH

• All 14 files comprise your archive and is a full disk image--if you followed my guide.
      Same folder. When you do your incremental, you select the drive being backed up and then select the same backup file which you just completed. TI will assign the incremental name.
      Maybe--not sure. Some users do all their backups from the CD. Others use their computer while backup is in progress. Running the chkdsk.exe on all drives could have helped as well.
      Definitely, task must finish without any change of power status.
    ------------------
    Next steps:
    1. I assume you chose the "validate option", if not, then validate now. Clicking any file of the set will cause the whole set to be validated.
    2. Your next step would be to bootup using the Rescue CD.
    ..a. Validate the 14 file backup again from within the CD.
    ..b. Create a new backup from within the CD just to make sure you can.
    ..c. Include validate as one of the options or validate after finish.
    ..d. Mount one or both of your new images--just to make sure you can. This will add a new drive letter to your explorer view. You can use Explorer and explore its contents. Maybe even copy a couple files from the mounted backup to your normal C drive. After your testing, then unmount the image using the Acronis unmount option.
    ..e. Simulate doing a restore (refer my guides) all the way until you reach the Proceed screen--at which time you choose Cancel.
    ..f. Referring to item "e". It's never a valid test until you do an actual restore. There are several methods of doing a valid test. Best way is with an extra drive. Lots of prior posts about methods.
    ..g. If you have not done so, you should use the XP Disk Management module and view a graphical picture of drives structure so you can know how many partitions, what file system, whether you have any hidden partitions, etc.
    ..h. External drives are safest when not attached. Not exposed to viruses, power surges, unneeded wear & tear, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.