Error: Failed to read data from the disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TomBrooklyn, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthonymcse

anthonymcse Registered Member

I also have run into this problem, several times, with no resolution, though it does seem somewhat sporadic.

I use the RD1000 disks from Dell, both the SATA Internal type, and the USB External type.

I get the "Failed to read data from the disk" error, with detail text like "Failed to read from the sector 218,129,637 of the hard disk 1"

Disk 1 seems to map to my RD1000, which is actually Disk 0 according to the microsoft Disk Management tool...I've got another system that is has a USB RD1000 that according to microsoft is Disk 2 (starting from 0)...but the error I get from Acronis says "hard disk 3". So it looks like Microsoft counts the first drive as drive zero, but Acronis counts the first drive as drive one...good one, Acronis.

OK..so on my system with the internal RD1000, I was getting some errors. I decided to run Scan Disk..no errors reported...I run an Acronis backup job...it runs fine..no errors...I reboot the server...I run the exact same Acronis job on the exact same RD1000 disk...I get the "Failed to read from the sector 218,129,637 of the hard disk 1"....I don't think this is a real error!

I've seen this error popup on every system where I've got Acronis coupled with an RD1000. That is on 3 servers, now. I've switched away from the Symantec Disaster Recovery software as it did not play well with the RD1000. Now am I going to have to ditch Acronis?

Note, this error is not during recovery, but during a backup. I've also seen it popup just when I have Acronis open, not even during a backup or recovery operation!!

Anthony

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  2. anthonymcse

anthonymcse Registered Member

An update: I've been working with tech support on this issue. Apparently, Acronis True Image can have problems with any removable drive that does not have an MBR. The Dell RD1000 doesn't have an MBR, just a single VBR. Acronis gets confused, treating the VBR like an MBR, and goes off looking for partitions and sectors that don't exist.

I'm told they are working on a fix but no timeline.

Anthony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.