Error 18 "cannot find a partition with the..."

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kc4cop, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kc4cop

kc4cop Registered Member

I am using Acronis True Image home v11
    Windows XP Pro with SP3

I have a problem that is becoming quite distressing. I cannot make a backup image of the partition containing my Windows XP Pro, SP 3 operating system. Two weeks ago, to make room for new full backup of the partition containing my operating system, I deleted a verified correct full backup with 4 or 5 incremental backups. I did not have a problem when I made any of these backups. Since then, I have not been able to back up my "C" partition - the partition that holds my Windows operating system and a number of application files.

I often restore files and petitions from the backups that I make using True Image. Not having a backup of this petition is distressing.

Each time that I attempt to backup the "C" partition I get the following error message :

18: Error

Monday, March xx, 2009 x:x:xx AM

Details:
    cannot find a partition with the \local\HD_sign(DEA3DEA3) part_sn
    (F6D9xxxxCB80xxx9) star(63).

I've used a number of programs that claim to fix the registry, I've manually search the registry for the string and not been able to locate the entire string, and I have searched the hard drive for the string and not been able to find the file on the hard drive either. Nothing that I have done have fixed the problem and let me up my specified partition.

I ran the Check Disk (chkdsk /F and chkdsk /R) programs several times each during the time that I have been having trouble making a backup image (I have seen other CHKDSK switches mentioned but these are the only 2 switches in my operating system. "chkdsk /P" fixes problems on the disc and "chkdsk /R" locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.).

The True Image program has no problem backing up and verifying other petitions on my computer.

What can I do to get a good backup image of my partition?

2. Jacky

Jacky Registered Member

I seem to have a similar issue with Acronis True Image 9 not finding the partion. This is my log notes text file:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
    <log build="2323" product="Acronis*True*Image" uuid="8DF0341E-7AFD-4606-9D33-7948A2B90795" version="9.0">
    <event code="2" id="1" message="The &quot;Current backup operation&quot; operation started" module="100" time="1237822560" type="2" />
    <event code="1004" id="2" message="Can not find a partition with the path \local\hd_sign(CCCDCCCD)\part_sn(0C426FCB460C4285)start(63)." module="1" time="1237822560" type="4" />
    <event code="100" id="3" message="Failed to process pair script:4986D3C5-127B-41FD-920C-7D8DA7A0CFAE" module="1" time="1237822560" type="3" />
    <event code="5" id="4" message="Operation has completed with errors." module="100" time="1237822561" type="4" />
    </log>
    Any help available for this issue?? Thanks.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

1. Does this happen with a manually started backup or are you doing a scheduled backup? If it's scheduled, delete the job and recreate it.

2. If you boot from the TI Rescue CD and attempt to make a backup, what happens?

3. Have you installed any new software since the last successful backup?

4. kc4cop

kc4cop Registered Member

1. Does this happen with a manually started backup or are you doing a scheduled backup? If it's scheduled, delete the job and recreate it.

2. If you boot from the TI Rescue CD and attempt to make a backup, what happens?

3. Have you installed any new software since the last successful backup?

About 50% of the failed backups have been manual startup and the other 50% was scheduled to run within the hour. The error message is the same regardless of what technique I try.

I am unable to successfully backup the "C" partition either within XP Pro/SP 3 or by booting from the rescue disk. Most of my attempts have been made by running TrueImage 11 from within Windows. I tried backing up using the rescue disk only once and will try that method again immediately. I can see why making a backup of the petition containing the operating system from outside Windows should work better but everything that I have read suggest otherwise.

I have installed a number of programs during the interval that I have not been able to back up the "C" partition. I have installed 3 search engines on my computer and then allowed them to complete indexing my drives. I then used each engine to try to find the entire string mentioned in the error message as well as fragments of the string that which just a program installed on my computer. Installation of one search engine was made a few days ago. It is possible that the elements making up the string mentioned in the error message would not be found by this search engine if a program was deleted prior to recent indexing. The other two search engines have been installed on the computer for a number of months. Their indexes should show the string and mark it "deleted" or "moved". They do not show anything.

I do not know what else to do as far as troubleshooting goes. I searched the registry to see if I could find components from the error message that might suggest a specific program. I did not find anything helpful.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

kc4cop This issue is related to incorrect signatures for mounted devices in your registry.

Go to Start -> Run, type regedit. Please locate the following registry key:

My computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

At the right side of the window find \DosDevices\A, \DosDevices\B, etc. stings, make right-click and choose the Delete option. You should delete all \DosDevices\ strings. After that please reboot the computer. The operating system will remount the drives. After that please reproduce the issue and let us know the results.

Also, please let us know what happens when you are trying to perform the same backup from CD version.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

6. peno

peno Registered Member

Re: Can not find a partition with the path \local\hd_sign(3833069C).

I´m running True Image Server version mars 2009.

I had Acronis installed and running perfect every night.
    Then I restored a complete image (first deleted the partition) and start up the Windows Server SBS 2008 again. Everything worked.
    But next night Acroins reported this problem.

1 Information 2009-04-29 23:00:01 The "Man-ons-fre" operation started
    2 Information 2009-04-29 23:00:09 Analyzing partition 0-0...
    3 Information 2009-04-29 23:00:10 Analyzing partition D:...
    4 Information 2009-04-29 23:00:10 Analyzing partition 0-0...
    5 Information 2009-04-29 23:00:11 Analyzing partition C:...
    6 Warning! 2009-04-29 23:00:11 Priority changed to Low priority
    7 Error 2009-04-29 23:00:11 Can not find a partition with the path \local\hd_sign(3833069C).
    8 Error 2009-04-29 23:00:11 No source is selected for the operation. Terminated.
    9 Error 2009-04-29 23:00:11 No source is selected for the operation. Terminated.
    10 Error 2009-04-29 23:00:11 Operation has completed with errors.

What to do?

/p

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello peno,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products

Please download Acronis Scheduler, which is a special utility to update the scheduler service. The link is available here. Reboot the computer, re-create the task and see if the issue remains.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.