Encryption Under Attack - AGAIN!

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by luv2bsecure, Oct 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hello All !!!!!!!!!

Former FBI Director Louis Freeh won't give up. We have to watch this carefully. In my eyes, there is no "privacy software" more important than encryption software - period.

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-961969.html?tag=fd_top_4

His argument is built on straw because there are so many encryption programs without backdoors already out there. they're everywhere! What does he want to do in the USA - a confiscation program? No....what he wants is all products manufactured from this point on to have a government back door. He also testified to the Senate last week that we should have a law similar to the UK "Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act" that would mean jail if you don't cough up your passphrase.

With all due respect to my friends in the UK, -- much time has passed :) -- independence in 1776 and all the blood that was shed was to free ourselves and build a nation based on freedom of the individual. The Constitution of the United States - on paper - is a beautiful document of freedom of the individual. We have never seen such a quick erosion of constitutional rights than we have seen since the Bush administration. Freeh now wants to look to the very country we won our independence from and enact their anti-privacy laws that take away our personal privacy (read:freedoms). I think even my friends in the UK would agree and say "don't let it happen there too!"

This is not updated but has invaluable information:
    http://www.epic.org/crypto/

We MUST preserve encryption software and the freedom to use it! Those of you in the U.S. - write the Congress and Senate and continue to make the pressure unbearable as we have done so far. With Freeh's testimony - he's stirred up the issue again.

Fight back.

Privacy = Freedom.

Have a great week!!
    John
    Luv2BSecure

2. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Hi John.

I agree with everything you just said and I'd like to ask permission to copy this post and put this in my next newsletter.

Now that I'm thinking about it. Paul's too. I'm not quite sure where copyright law would put this.......

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hey Mike,

No prob as for as I'm concerned - John has to make up his own mind ;) You might drop him an email to speed things up.

As a matter of fact, I'm not that sure either..

regards.

paul

4. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

Thank you sir. :)

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hey, we're all in all this togheter! :D

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.