Encryption is less secure than we thought

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Nanobot, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

3. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Re: New discovery may make encryption ‘exponentially easier’ to break

In reality, has this ever been proved?

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Re: New discovery may make encryption ‘exponentially easier’ to break

Since the theory has now been spelled out, it is up to those whom test/experiment with this new theory to implement cases that confirm it. The theoretical proof has already been made. I expect black hatters (even NSA) with theoretical backgrounds will be enticed to pursue the proof in code now that the theory is out there as a rigorous test of the theory, and then put it into use cracking into vulnerable websites

-- Tom

5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I don't really respect MIT anymore. It seems like just a bunch of kids with good memories being groomed for government jobs who get to play around and do what they want so they get addicted to the perks and have to obey to keep them.

6. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

Schneier's take:

That last line sums up my default initial take on most of these "uh oh, big problems in the crypto world!" "news" items. Every time I hear something like this I'm always quite skeptical as to it even being noteworthy...let alone groundbreaking or of any real significance.

There's just too many announcements like this for even a majority of them to be that big of a deal.

Seriously, read the headlines, and then listen to the actual cryptographers:

ExtremeTech: "New discovery may make encryption ‘exponentially easier’ to break"

Bruce Schneier: [paraphrase] "I don't even see why this is worthy of being reported on."​

It's just another case of ignorant journalists making a big deal out of something they know nothing about because it gives them something to report (i.e. maintain their job and generate attention.)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.