Enabling Scripts

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Jun 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

How much of a risk is it to enable scripting in one's browser? I rarely come across sites that don't use scripting of some kind, and if they are not enabled, one is constantly prompted if the user wants to allow them to be run. The dialog box even says they are "usually safe to run". So what's the real story, especially if one has layered protection?

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi D&C, ;)

Jason's Toolbox will answer some of your questions.

In short ... with javascript enable a web site maybe able to redirect your browser ... trapping you there, assault you with popups ... etc. I'm unsure of any more serious implications than that.

Examples of what you'll miss ... ie. at Wilders' clickable insertion of smiles ... Bold fonts .etc, links ... althought these can all be achieved manually ... ie .. (b) word (/b) ... replace ( & ) with [ & ]

Personnally, I have it enabled in all my browser Opera (main), Mozilla, and IE for Windows Updates and occasional I use IE at Wilders' an other Security Forums ... but Travel no where else with IE.

HTH, ;)

dog - *puppy*

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

D&C

Scripting can be risky. A lot of sites use it though. So if you disable Javascript here at Wilders for instance, it breaks a lot of the little programs we use here.

Scripting is the main reason I use Firebird. Although you can disable a lot of "stuff" in IE based browsers, it is sometimes hard to do.

You have probably created a monster thread here.

Link

Link

Link

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks (uh, I mean Bark! Bark! :D ) dog! With ZA Pro I've got the popup problem dealt with. Does not sound too serious a threat.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Wow. Now this seems more serious. I think I'll leave my settings as they are, and just add the sites where I need scripts (such as Wilders) to my trusted zone, where they are enabled.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Nice link Dog. None of the tests affected Firefox.

7. dog

dog Guest

Ha ... Opera too! BigC converted me ... I still like FF though ... but Now I'm an Opera Man! ... Figro, Figro, FFFFFFiiiiiigggggrrrO.

LOL :D :D :p

dog - *puppy*

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

May I have some of what you're having right now??:D
    :D

9. Dazed_and_Confused

Sounds like I need to try Firefox!

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Put it on your machine and give it a whirl. Lots to learn and have fun doing it!

It is still pre 1.0 though. Hiccups can and will occur.

I'll never go back.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Good man!- - opera "rules"

12. Dazed_and_Confused

I installed it, and gave it a quick whirl. Right now I'm back to using NetCaptor. Need I say more?

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Opera is a good browser. Used it in the past. I don't like adware though so I can't try out the new version.

A few computer years ago when doubleclick was all the rage, I found a reference to doubleclick somewhere in the files of Opera.

I emailed them and asked if they used doubleclick. They seemed surprised and said no, why would you think this.? Fast foward to today.

Anyway, they do provide ads in the free download. I am sure the pay version is fine.

Different strokes for different folks.

Also Bigc, this is no reflection on one of my neighbors!! :D

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Bad, bad! Not a fair test!

15. dog

dog Guest

Hi Ronjor, ;)

Opera 7.51 ... Free Version ... one little tweak ... and NO AD! Ha Ha! :D

Looks like you might be give'n Opera another little spin! Proof in the Pic!

dog - *puppy*

Not the Best Screen Shot, eh? LOL

Attached Files:

16. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, ;)

To undisplay the AD in Opera 7.51 ... Select View -> Toolbars -> Uncheck "Main Bar" ... AD goes bye -bye.

dog - *puppy*

I'll claim it's prescription ... nah it's just a Wilders' High! LOL

Yep, Thanks BigC! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2004
  17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I've Opera on here right now. Gonna take a while to figure out all these panels, buttons, and options.

By the way, I think we are way off topic for this thread. What do you think? :D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  18. dog

dog Guest

Ah ... it happens when you get older ... I don't paddle ... just go right along with the flow of the river. ;)

That is of course unless Paul says otherwise! :D

dog - :ninja:

19. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

Unfortunately it's not really practical to disable active scripting in the internet zone. Espically for the unskilled user who doesn't know how to use the trusted zone.

I've always struggled with getting the right balance between functionality and security for such users.

The best I've come up is to run scriptdefender plus proxomitron to blunt some of the really bad holes in scripting not patched yet,.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.