Enable ReturnNil for a particular user

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by coderecoder, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coderecoder

coderecoder Registered Member

Hi,

I use a PC which is shared.

I have created a common user accounts which is used by the guests. I was looking for a software which would restore the state back to original once a user logs off.

I have evaluated MS Shared Computer ToolKit, but was not happy with it. Then I came across Returnil which fits my requirments & is free for personal use.

The only question I have is can I enable it for a specific user using any command line option ( using logon scripts). I checked the manual but did not find any details.

Any pointer on the same would be appriciated.

Regards
    Vin

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello coderecoder,
    Once you activate Session Lock, change your mode preference to on (System Protection), or use the scheduler to turn the protection on, it will be in effect for all users of the system. This means you cannot customize the protection (on/Session Lock) by user.

To enforce your settings so unauthorized users cannot turn the protection off, use the access password feature and do not share the password.

To release the protection you must reboot your system. IOW, Returnil will not release the System Protection/Session Lock if the user simply logs off of thier account.

Mike

3. coderecoder

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am aware that Returnil can be enabled explicity using without rebooting, but for turning it off it needs a reboot. I am also aware that I can assign a password to it.

Think of my scenario as that of a public library or cybercafe, where for a particular login I need to restore the state back.The only difference here is I dont want the Returnil to be enabled by default, I only want it to be enabled when a particular user logs in.

My understanding from your answer is that Returnil currently does not support the functionality of enabling/disabling it via a command line/api. I DONT mind rebooting after the user (for whom ReturNil has been enabled) had logged to the system.

Are you aware of any other software which supports this functionality? I have looked at windows steady state but not happy with it. The other options are Power Shadow & ReturNil.

Regards
    Vin

4. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I am wondering, do you only want to use Returnil with this one user account? If that is so, I am sure that there is an option during install for all users or not, thus would that not mean that if you logged into the account for which you wanted it, installed it there for only that user, would this not work? Am really guessing here.

5. Coldmoon

Hi Vin,
    This is not available in 1.70, but it is a very good idea and we will add it to 2.0

Mike

6. Coldmoon

Hi tradetime,
    The option you are thinking about is for allowing all users to turn on Session Lock without needing the access password. His question was about using a command line switch or parameter that would allow him to force Session Lock for a specific user. In this case it might be easier to think of the idea as using a login script. HTH

Mike

7. coderecoder

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the clarification.

Any idea when version 2.0 is expected?

Regards
    Vin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.