Emsisoft Anti Malware 7.xx Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mops21, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siketa

siketa Registered Member

At least you could explain why you gave this link and said "Thanks!" to all the people for extending your licence.
    :thumbd:

2. 50% off when you use

newsletteroffer121229

Not sure if its been mentioned?

3. siketa

siketa Registered Member

malwaretips still works?

4. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

5. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

When I uninstall some programs I get an alert that autostart entries are modified. Only if I allow the behaviour, the uninstall process is completed although the program being uninstalled does not ask to restart the computer. Examples are adobe shockwave player and pdf creator from pdfforge. I am using the stable version.

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Pretty normal. :D

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I was going to try the emergency kit until i saw the download size..220mb.:eek:
    I didnt bother.
    Software is just getting more bloated by the month.:gack:

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

The size of the installer doesn't tell if it's bloated or not. :D

9. The Red Moon

Well i would disagree.220mb Installer is pretty bloated to me.o_O

10. iammike

iammike Registered Member

The 220MB installer is filled with approx 215 MB of Signatures, if they wouldn't pack the sigs then you would have to download them afterwards and people would have found one more reason to complain because of the lengthy download of the Signatures :D

11. The Red Moon

How is a 220mb saving me a lengthy download.?:eek: The installer itself is a mammoth download,
    Yes emsisoft have excellent signatures but i would sooner they released a form of cloud scanner rather than downloading huge amounts of signatures everytime i wished to use it.

12. iammike

iammike Registered Member

I am using Emsisoft AM and I think on average (I am downloading new sigs every hour) I am downloading 1-5 MB of new / changed/ updated Sigs. But I don't care as with my ADSL I can download unlimited amounts of data, but for someone on a Pre-Paid or limited (capped) Internet they have to think twice. In those cases maybe MSE would be better, with only (small (less then 1 MB) ) 1 update a Day :D

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Not to argue, but bloated when it comes to software including security solutions AVs/AMs or whatever. Is useless unnecessary features being added to the product such as Tuneup, Defragger etc etc.. that is bloat.(the exception might be if it's being added to the so called "Total Security Suites" if the vendor has one in the lineup) And when a vendor adds stuff like that wich has nothing to do with the products main function like preventing/protecting then the product is starting to get "bloated". :thumbd:

Though I am not saying it's a small installer by any means, but bloated is not the word for it. If you know a better word for huge installers then invent it and start using it :D Cheers :)

14. The Red Moon

Yes a word for it is bloatware pure and simple.They need to think about implementing a cloud scanner before this program bloats out into a unuseable monstrosity.
    I hate to think what the size will be in a years time.:D

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It won't get much bigger I think, the BitDefender engine and/or database is already one of the biggest ones afaik :D

16. caiusilus

caiusilus Registered Member

Emisoft have yet a one-minute scanner called Malaware. It may be allways avalaible ;-) Perhaps not as effective as EEK but les time consuming ;-)

http://www.emsisoft.fr/fr/software/malaware/

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Time to upgrade your internet speeds guys! :D

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No i'm fine thanks ;)

19. The Red Moon

Bloatware has nothing to do with internet speeds.
    There really is no excuse for programs to have such unfathomable download sizes and they grow and grow.
    This is the reason i will not use EAM or anything else resembling it because i will not partake in the use of such bloated software.
    Even fully fledged security suites are not of this magnitude and i would sincerely like to hear emsisofts reasoning for such bloat.
    Maybe they should concentrate their efforts on creating a reasonable cloud scanner without having to download huge signatures everytime.

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Cloud scanners require extra server power do they have that? :doubt:

Also what was the size of EEK before they changed to BitDefender from Ikarus?

21. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

This guy is 282MB. And this one is 264MB. Are they bloatware too? These products more closely approximate Emsisoft Emergency Kit than those goofy "cloud" scanners that your comparing it to.

22. The Red Moon

Those two products are nothing like the emergency kit and its insulting to emsisoft in general to even suggest it.
    Those are rescue disks as you well know and not dedicated antimalware scanners and yes i do believe they are bloated considering what they contain and i can imagine as time goes on the download figures will increase at an alarming rate.
    Im speaking about scanners like hitman pro etc which are not bloated monsters ripping a huge dent in your download data.
    Not everyone is on fibre optic broadband and its rather patronising of emsisoft and other companies to assume everyone is.
    Could you also clarify your irrelevant term of "goofy" please.Are you implying that companies like kingsoft and panda are creating "goofy" products?
    Maybe you have been watching too many walt disney cartoons and have "goofy" on the brain.
    Regards.

23. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I'm not going to digress into quantifying what exact category these tools belong to. You stated your opinion that Emsisoft Emergency Kit is bloated and I stated mine that cloud scanners are goofy. You think Emsisoft Emergency Kit more closely approximates cloud scanners and I think it more closely approximates the functions of a rescue CD or USB. To each his own.

And I'm sure you're right about one thing and that is that Emsisoft will find my post much more insulting than you calling their product bloatware. So +1 for you there.

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think despite the huge massive monster emsisoft installer has it is one of the fastest anti-virus around,you can not even feel any slow down or drag:thumb: :thumb:

25. The Red Moon

hello jmonge,
    Yes i absolutely agree with you and emsisoft has some of the finest signatures there is but this does not excuse the bloated download.
    Even kaspersky is not that big.
    As ive stated before i cannot see the download size ever decreasing and will only bloat out of proportion in time and the very best of luck to them in convincing potential users to download and install.

Sadly emsisoft are not the only company suffering from this bloatedness and it would appear that most major companies are going down the same convoluted road to bloat madness.
    I make one exception which is malwarebytes which retains its slick install and small updates and is just as good if not better at detecting critters within the system so maybe malwarebytes is something other anti malware companies need to take a long look at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.