Empty log

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Gez, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gez

Gez Registered Member

LnS 2.06p2
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Hi
    logging seems to be sporadic on my LnS 2.06p2. Sometimes I get realtime logging with packets blocked every few minutes and sometimes nothing for hours. If I try ShieldsUp on these occasions I see nothing in the log. I am not behind a router. I am connecting with a Vodafone USB broadband modem which is like a PPP dial-up connection.
    When I completely remove the modem software and LnS and reinstall both programs things seem to work better for a while but then they tail off again.
    I also notice the problem began sometime after a failed .NET 2 SP1 installation, which was automatically downloaded to my PC through Windows Updates. Is it possible this has messed with my VC++ 2005 installation?
    Thank you,
    Gerard.

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

I don't think it comes from .NET 2 SP1 installation.

Did you check which network interface is selected when this happens ?
    Also, on the welcome page, is your IP address still correct, and does the statistics change, when some data is sent/received ?

Thanks,

Frederic

3. Gez

Gez Registered Member

Hi Frederic
    yes the Connected box is ticked, and the Sent/Receive packets update in real time. The problem is that logging seems to be sporadic - it might go for hours logging once every 5 or 10 minutes and then for hours logging nothing. Perhaps there is nothing wrong and I'm just paranoid. I also don't know how to check what ports my ISP is blocking.
    I used Revo uninstaller yesterday to completely remove LnS and my USB broadband modem and i reinstalled them and it seems to be working better now, but there are still long periods of several hours when nothing shows up in the log, and then something every few minutes for hours.
    I'll leave it for another few days before I panic!
    :)
    Thank you!

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

If the IP address is correct and stats are changing, there is probably nothing wrong.
    To be sure the log is still working you can enable temporary the log attribute for the rule "TCP: Allow most common protocols" (or any other frequent rule like the UDP DNS one).
    After you see some lines in the log, don't forget to remove the attribute, because it could consume a lot of memory for nothing, and you won't be able to see easily the right blocked packets.

Regards,

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.