EMON

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by minacross, Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I found that there is a component called EMON, I can not find it in my Nod32 Control Center :rolleyes:
    any one knows why? o_O
    I use OE6 as my e-mail client..

Attached Files:

2. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello minacross
    Information is on this page. Look under "Product" near the bottom and the second question down "What modules does NOD consist of?"

We hope this helps.

3. Q Section

This is also found on the ESET website:

IMON & EMON
    IMON (Internet MONitor), is the second NOD32 resident scanner. It runs on the Winsock level and scans incoming internet traffic (e-mail). IMON replaces the NOD32’s original POP3 filter with enhanced email protection. Almost no configuration is required, which is great for non-technical users.
    EMON (Email MONitor), a complimentary resident module, scans incoming e-mails in Outlook, MS Exchange and other MAPI compatible e-mail programs.

We await a response fronm an ESET moderator for clarification as you do.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Take a look here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=14573;start=msg91808#msg91808

Since you use Outlook Express and not Outlook as your e-mail client EMON will not load during the installation of NOD. EMON is a MAPI scanner, so you can also deselect this option in the Control Centre.

Outlook needs to be in 'corporate mode' for EMON to be installed.

5. minacross

minacross Registered Member

thanx 4 help :D

6. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Said by Blackcat:
    Outlook needs to be in 'corporate mode' for EMON to be installed.
    ---------------------------------------------

My Outlook is not in "corporate" mode and EMON works perfectly fine. I've never used Outlook in corporate mode and have never heard that it had to be in this mode.....where did you obtain this information?

7. 4NodAu

4NodAu Registered Member

Hi this Info MAY help also read Thank U Nod32 Staff x 2 4NodAu ( Posted Tuesday 28th October 2003 Australian Time )

OR

type into your ie or netscape URL window the following link minus the enclosing brackets.

(http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15512)

ALSO I think you mean IMON NOT EMON ( Although the name may change between USA - UK - AU ) this is the Pop 3 email scanner.

This works fine with the latest version(s) of ie and Netscape i have both.

DO NO HAVE ANY OTHER ANTI VIRUS SOFTWARE PRODUCT ACTIVATED WHILE USING NOD32 V 1.xx OR 2.xx

For Example : NORTONS / SYMANTEC / McAFEE

DISABLE YOUR OLD ANTI - VIRUS SOFTWARE PERMANENTLY OR FOR THE SHORT TIME YOU TRIAL NODD32.

THE TWO SEPERATE ANTI - VIRUS PROGRAMS CAN CLASH - AND CRASH YOUR PC.

FURTHER:

AMON AND IMON ( EMON ) AND NOD32 SHOULD ALL BE OPTIONED TO BE TURNED ON AUTOMATICALLY WHEN WINDOWS BOOTS UP.

ALSO HURISTIC SCANNING CHECKED ( ON ) DEEP SCANNING (ON) CLEAN DETECTABLE VIRUSES AUTOMATICALLY ( ON ) UNCLEANABLE VIRUSES DELEATED ( ON )

QUARANTINE ( ON ) THATS EVERYWHERE YOU FIND A QUARANTINE CHECK BOX CLICK YOUR MOUSE IN THE BOX TILL A TICK OR CROSS APPEARS THESE OPTIONS MUST BE ON.

NOD32 V1 OR V2 HAVE NEVER HUNG MY WINDOWS 2000 PROFESSIONAL SYSTEM UP EVEN ONCE !! :) :)

Thanks ALL you good folks, from the nod team.

What a feather in your cap that all the other anti - virus camps had to rush to write the code to stop the Win32/Swen.A worm . When NOD32 V2 USERS HAD NOD32 DELETE THE WORK AUTOMATICALLY !!!

GREAT WORK !

HOPE THIS ALL HELPS OUR FRIENDS WITH PROBLEMS!!
    Below this line is my NOD System Info

NOD32 Antivirus System information
    Virus signature database version:   1.543 (20031024)
    Dated:   Friday, 24 October 2003
    Virus signature database build:   4001

Information on other scanner support parts
    Advanced heuristics module version:   1.003 (20030805)
    Advanced heuristics module build:   1032
    Archive support module version:   1.005 (20030924)
    Archive support module build version:   1061

Information on installed components
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP - Base
    Version:   2.000.6
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP - Internet support
    NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP - Standard component

Operating system information
    Platform:   Windows 2000
    Version:   5.0.2195 Service Pack 4
    Version of common control components:   5.81.4916
    RAM:   256 MB
    Processor:   AMD Athlon(tm) MP 1600+ (1393 MHz)

8. petepohl

petepohl Registered Member

I use Outlook XP and would like to use EMON feature, however it is not listed as installed. Does anyone know how to configure outlook xp- specifically how to engage corporate mode?

9. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

My understanding is that Outlook in XP can not be configured in the corporate mode, pre Microsoft.

10. Q Section

EMON, IMON, and AMON cannot be the same as they have different functions as mentioned here. Furthermore please see this picture taken from the page referenced above.

Lastly - a quote from that page

Key Features Include

Centralized management of the resident antivirus modules and filters.
    Intuitive directory tree style system for easy access to:
    Automatic, internet/LAN Update module
    Centralized system of log files for all installed modules
    Resident on-access monitor (AMON), on-emand scanner, internet monitor (IMON) and e-mail scanner modules (EMON)

We do not show EMON on our console either. Hello ESET........o_O

Attached Files:

• EMON.jpg
      EMON.jpg
      File size:
      21.2 KB
      Views:
  11. balbanebeoulve

balbanebeoulve Registered Member

QSection,

Odd, I do not have "EMON" as you do, as you can see minacross also does not have it. Maybe your version is buggy or you might've tweaked some registry key,...

Odd, I'd like to know what Eset has to say about this... o_O

Edit: Just saw an official picture, oddly enough it has EMON, and I don't....

12. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Is ESET going to respond to this?

13. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

;)Jumping on the band-wagon here.

I don't have Emon either. o_O

14. Q Section

Again, we do not have EMON on our console. This was a picture captured from the official ESET website. Our console looks just like it but without the EMON.

We are looking for a clarification from an ESET moderator also. o_O

Best wishes.

15. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi,

here is more info (a part of it was already posted here):

the EMON module scans email for MAPI-compatible clients, such as Microsoft Outlook (just Microsoft Outlook in the Corporate mode – not Outlook 2002 (XP), or Outlook Express) and Exchange. It also scans incoming mail when the mail client receives mail from the MS Exchange server via the Exchange protocol.

If there is no MAPI compatible e-mail client on the computer installed, EMON will be not installed too.

Hope it helps :)

Rgds,

jan

16. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

No Jan, it doesn't help.

What you have stated is NOT on the ESET website. This is another example of things not being correct on the ESET website.

Can you point me to the documentation that has this in it?

17. jan

Hi GuruGuy,

>What you have stated is NOT on the ESET website. This is another example of things not being correct on the ESET website.

I'd say not exactly the same, I wouldn't say it's not correct : but the matter is the same.

>Can you point me to the documentation that has this in it?

It's in the NOD32 Version 2.0 Installation Guide here.

By the way:

- what version of Outlook do you use exactly?
    - do you know from what type of the Mail Server do you download e-mails and what type of the protocol is used for the download?

Thanks, :)

jan

18. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Well there is a problem with that. The documentation on the page where you purchase the product does NOT state this info.....only after you have purchased and then read the install document do you learn this! That is VERY MISLEADING and untrue!

"Scans Outlook and Outlook Express e-mail databases."

http://www.nod32.com/products/nt.htm

Then you point me to the install documentation.......so now I assume by reading this nobody's email is being scanned by EMON UNLESS they are using an Exchange Server or are using Outlook in the corporate mode. A user that has Outlook NOT in the corporate mode is not having his email scanned by EMON nor is any other user not using one of the two emails clients listed!

Info is here on page 17:
    http://www.nod32.com/nod_v2_ig.pdf

19. jan

Hi GuruGuy,

>Well there is a problem with that. The documentation on the page where you purchase the product does NOT state this info.....only after you have purchased and then read the install document do you learn this! That is VERY MISLEADING and untrue!

OK, we need to update the webpage and we'll do it. Sorry for that. Pls. calm down a bit, if possible. :)

>"Scans Outlook and Outlook Express e-mail databases."

This is true.

>Then you point me to the install documentation.......so now I assume by reading this nobody's email is being scanned by EMON UNLESS they are using an Exchange Server or are using Outlook in the corporate mode.

Yes, in this case EMON is not installed and IMON can be used.

Thanks,

jan

20. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Trust me Jan, I am perfectly calm. I am "upset" that myself and many people have been misled into believing their email is being scanned by NOD32 when using a POP email client......when in fact it is not....UNLESS they are using an Exchange Server OR Outlook in the corporate mode!

I will be in touch with Larry McJanet at NOD32 for a refund.

Thanks for finally clarifying this issue with this forum!

21. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

One other thing

Posted by: jan

>"Scans Outlook and Outlook Express e-mail databases."

This is true.

--------------------

NO, this is not true. EMON does not scan Outlook Express nor does it scan Outlook UNLESS it is used in the corporate mode.

22. jan

GuruGuy,

>their email is being scanned by NOD32 when using a POP email client......when in fact it is not....

to make it clear:

IMON:

Scans all mail incoming via POP3 protocol regardless of the e-mail clients

EMON:

Scans all mail incoming via "MS Exchange" protocol and incoming via MAPI compatible clients - MS Outlook in the Corporate mode

>NO, this is not true. EMON does not scan Outlook Express nor does it scan Outlook UNLESS it is used in the corporate mode.

What you've written is true - but this NOT written on our website - if you look at:

there is:

NOD32 for Microsoft Windows (on-demand scanner)

Key Features

Scans Outlook and Outlook Express e-mail databases.

This IS true. Not EMON, but NOD32 on-demand scanner scans Outlook and Outlook Express e-mail databases

Thanks for your understanding. :)

jan

23. GuruGuy

GuruGuy Guest

Said by Jan:

What you've written is true - but this NOT written on our website - if you look at:

there is:

Key Features

This IS true. Not EMON, but NOD32 on-demand scanner scans Outlook and Outlook Express e-mail databases

---------------------------------------

Actually IT IS WRITTEN on your website and is listed in the IMON & EMON Section.....see underline sections:

IMON & EMON
    IMON (Internet MONitor), is the second NOD32 resident scanner. It runs on the Winsock level and scans incoming internet traffic (e-mail). IMON replaces the NOD32’s original POP3 filter with enhanced email protection. Almost no configuration is required, which is great for non-technical users.
    EMON (Email MONitor), a complimentary resident module, scans incoming e-mails in Outlook, MS Exchange and other MAPI compatible e-mail programs.

Provides on-demand protection for PCs at home or in the office, from Microsoft Windows 95 /98 workstations to Microsoft Windows NT/2000/2003/XP, Windows Powered servers.

Key Features

Easy-to-use graphical user interface with an alternative, command-line execution.
    Integrates into Windows Explorer’s context menu, allowing quick selection of a scanning target using the right mouse button.
    Scans operating memory and check its own integrity.
    Cleans, removes and quarantines infected objects.
    Removes infiltrations from files that are locked for writing (e.g., loaded DLL file).
    Removes viruses, worms and Trojans that are running.
    Can be scheduled and executed using various users’ profiles.
    Contains a detailed, interactive on-line help.

24. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

You're right, and that's exactly what Jan said. IMON covers POP3 account activity. EMON handles MAPI stuff like Outlook (NOT Express) and MS Exchange traffic. The NOD32 on demand scanner does what it says - scans the Outlook and Outlook Express databases. The database FILES. The actual traffic is handled by the other two modules.

I use NOD32 / IMON on my email client at home (Courier, a.k.a Calypso) and it does an excellent job at it. My in-laws use it on Outlook Express, and it also works well for them. Scans their incoming mail, etc.

Hope this helped to clarify things, rather than further muddying them up... :rolleyes:

Jack

25. jan

Hi all,

I agree with anotherjack. I accept that there are some expressions at http://www.nod32.com/products/nt.htm
    that are not exact and could be misleading in some cases. I wouldn't say there is any untrue - we don't want to give out any untrues. I'll talk to the guy who has written it and we will make it more exact.

Thanks for reporting.

Have a great day. :)

jan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.