EMON & outlook 2003 / Exchange

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by asdf69, Feb 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asdf69

asdf69 Guest

I have just set up Exchange server 2003 at work, and am wondering how to turn on / enable EMON to scan MAPI (exchange) traffic in outlook 2003 on all the desktops...This is kinda important since currently there is STILL NO EXCHANGE server2003 nod plugin...outlook is currently set up to use exchange as well as pop3 until the MX records get changed over...IMON is working great...BUT I really need a way to scan messages received from the exchnage server...

Any help will be appreciated

2. Laadedaa

Laadedaa Guest

I hae noticed that IMON fails to add the "Scanned by NOD32" tag to mail using IMAP (not POP3) - does this also mean that IMON fails to scan IMAP mail? If so, maybe IMON should be renamed to POP3MON as that is all it seems to actually scan.

3. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

As far as I can tell from NOD help files you need to reinstall NOD so it detects Exchange and installs emon from the install process

I can't see anyway of adding emon if you add exchange server after set up

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,
    EMON does not currently support MS Outlook 2002/2003. If you have NOD32 for ES installed on the server, infected attachments will be deleted automatically on the server (the taken action depends on the rules you have set). At any rate, if you have AMON enabled, it will detect any infected file you might try to run, or attach to an email.

IMON currently scans only POP3, but support for HTTP is supposed to be added to the following component upgrade. IMAP is not supported yet, but don't confuse it with MAPI - EMON is a MAPI scanner.

5. RJ

RJ Guest

Any ETA on Outlook XP or 2003 support? I have virus scanners on the Exchange server but would like the ability for the clients to be able to scan in case the antivirus scanners on ther server fail.

6. Ladeeda

Ladeeda Guest

Hi,

I am not in any way confusing MAPI with IMAP. hence why I asked about IMAP, not MAPI support. I know that Emon is a MAPI engine for some older, now almost totally obsolete versions of Outlook. Actually, while I'm at it, why does Eset not support current Outlook? Why doesn't it even support the prior to current version? Do they not want to keep up with the rest of the world? The world is moving on past Outlook/Office 2000 - well past it. Eset needs to start catching up before it is too late.

As for IMAP support, is this being added. Many ISPs have IMAP support, and many businesses run IMAP in preference to POP3 for security and manageability reasons. Eset's lack of support for IMAP is kind of poor.

As for NOD32 for Exchange Server - do you mean there's a new one based on the Version 2 engine, or are you talking about the obsolete Version 1 engine Exchange Server module that is a kludge to install.

If you mean the obsolete one, or the one that SHOULD have been obsoleted by a decent upgrade by now, then can you also install NOD32 Ver 2 on a Windows 2003 box with the older NOD32 for ES Ver 1.0 plugin?

Since NOD32 Ver 1.0 doesn't work nicely in Terminal Server, this is kind of shooting yourself in the foot. Not that I actually run Terminal Server on an Exchange Server, but I **do** remote admin my Exchange Server from Terminal Server Remote Administration.

*> Ladeeda

7. RJ

RJ Guest

I guess thats the question i'm asking. Eset needs to keep pace with email client software. Many of us use Outlook XP / 2003 - IMAP and MAPI support should be implemented ASAP. It is very limiting for me, I sync with an Exchange server using Outlook 2003 and I can't scan my incoming email. I want the virus caught before it is in my inbox not when I open it with AMON. Other than that, I love the product, so I definatel hope for updated client support and IMAP support. :rolleyes:

8. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hi,
    I know the following:
    -In the near future, IMON will scan other protocols like IMAP, HTTP and FTP and not only POP3.
    -Outlook XP or 2002 can't be installed in corporate mode, so is obvious that EMON don't work with Outlook XP. EMON work with Outlook installed in corporate mode.

9. HiltonT

HiltonT Registered Member

Hi All,

asdf69's question about Outlook 2002/2003 is quite relevant. It certainly does appear that Eset is falling behind the times with their lack of support for the last two Microsoft Outlook clients in MAPI mode.

It appears that Eset supports POP3 (through IMON) and no longer supports MAPI (well, not since Outlook 2002, anyway). It also appears that they do not support IMAP mail at all. sir_carew suggests that this support is imminent, and that would most definitely be welcome, as IMAP support is becoming rather common of late (late being the past few years). It appears that asdf69, laadedaa, RJ and a number of others are becoming limited in their AntiVirus functionality because of Eset's lack of support for common and current email protocols and software.

Laadedaa also asked about NOD32 for Exchange Server - and I agree. I have not seen any Exchenge Server support since the now quite old NOD32 ver 1.x - as far as I know, there's no NOD32 ver 2.0 for Exchange Server module at all. If this is not the case, then I welcome an update on this.

As for NOD32 on Terminal Server, from my experience, NOD32 is one of the few AV programs that functions well in a Windows Terminal Server environment. Good work Eset - I just hope you can translate this into other products - EMON, IMAP support and a NOD32 version 2 Exchange plugin.

I hope Eset reads this and seriously looks into the points raised in this thread. Email is a mission critical application, and is the carrier of more viruses than any other method. NOD32 email scanning - of ALL applicable protocols - is an essential component of NOD32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.