EMON did not install, help.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by todo, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todo

todo Registered Member

I've downloaded the trial version of NOD32 Version2 and I cannot understand how to scan email. From the help files i've come to understand that it should automatically install if I have Outlook as my default email client. I have windows XP pro and Outlook XP installed as my default email client. When I open my control center I only see AMON, IMON, and NOD32 as the resident modules and filters. Should not EMON be in here as well. I like the program, but will stick with Norton if email scanning is such a hassle. Please help, thanks.

2. Kym

Kym Registered Member

Check your incoming mail to see if you have this message

"__________ NOD32 1.454 (20030707) Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System.
    http://www.nod32.com"

I only have Nod, Amon and Imon listed also but from reading other posts here I am in no way concerned, also with the above message attached to all e-mail I get through, ther seems to be no problem.

If you click on the Imon logo you should also be able to see how many e-mails Imon has scanned in your current session online.
    Hope you understand what I am trying to say

3. todo

todo Registered Member

Hey, just checked my most recent email and I do have that NOD32 message at the bottom of it. The IMON also shows that it has scanned email as well. Thanks for the info. Now is there a way to do a manual scan before opening the email. At work we use McAfee, and our tech group says not to even open questionable email, or not even to have the outlook set up with a preview page. Because this itself can open a virus. So is there a way to do an actual manual scan of the email before opening it. Thanks again for the help.

4. sig

sig Registered Member

The email is scanned by IMON before it hits your inbox and is available to be opened. If it weren't "prescanned" by the email scanner there would be no reason to have an email scanner component in addition to the AMON resident scanner.

From the info on ESET's website:

"IMON & EMON
    IMON (Internet MONitor), is the second NOD32 resident scanner. It runs on the Winsock level and scans incoming internet traffic (e-mail). "

To test this out, you can send a test email to yourself and when you receive it, don't open it. Just read it by putting your mouse on the email and right clicking, check properties, pick the general tab in the resulting pop up then hit message source in the resulting panel. You can expand the resulting window to better read the text of your email to your self and at the bottom you'll see NOD's notice that the email has been scanned. So it's done it's job and planted the message before you ever actually open the email. (Viewing the source info does not open the email as your email will still show as unopened in your inbox.)

(Note: my instructions for viewing message source is based on Outlook Express. I haven't used Outlook XP so I don't know how different the procedure is, but I imagine it does have a way to view the emails properties and message source just as OE does.)

5. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

EMON will only load if you have Outlook installed in the corporate mode . Only Outlook 97 and 2000 can be set up in the corporate mode. So your Email is scanned by IMON. I can't understand why it would be this way but it is.

6. todo

todo Registered Member

Alright, sounds good. Thanks for all the help on this. I really appreciate it. So far I haven't seen a bad review for this Anitvirus, guess I'll go and buy it. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.