Electrum default wallet edit?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Palancar, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I was torn on whether or not to ask this in the Linux forum. I think it is more of a technology question since you guys might know Electrum more then pure linux folks.

For some reason I am drawing a blank here. I want to permanently change the default wallet path within Electrum. In order to do that I need to designate the Electrum path upon start to a personally named wallet. Lets call it xyz_wallet for this example. Electrum out of the box looks for a default wallet and always open it. If I go into home and delete the default wallet, the next time I start Electrum it makes me create a new default wallet. It only takes a few seconds to open my other wallets but I just want that default wallet gone!
    My new xyz_wallet will be my default and I can terminal any needed changes quite quickly once I learn the command to alter the path within Electrum.

Linux OS:

Currently Electrum defaults to: user/home/.electrum/wallets/default_wallet

I just want to change the opening path to my named wallet. Why? If I get careless and accidentally use the default wallet (since it opens without my request upon start) I may give out a receiving btc address on a wallet I don't use. I could process the coins out to a wallet I do use, but I don't want the hassle.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Is there a config file?

It might work to create a symbolic link:
    Code:
    $ cd /usr/home/user/.electrum/wallets/
    $ ln -s /path/to/xyz_wallet default_wallet
    But Electrum might overwrite the link. See "man ln" for more.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I am going to try and resolve this over the next week. I have already twice started to use the default wallet by mistake. I need more than one wallet so learning to quickly change the start up path "edit" for Electrum would make it more convenient. Fortunately my live/online system is "seedless" on all wallets so its only my incovenience not really a loss threat of any kind!

I may bring up a fresh VM and experiment with your idea. At least no harm no foul, just a few minutes of time. I do remember reading about this almost a year ago. I should have saved the link but I didn't. I remember it being quite easy according to the poster of the thread.

Obviously, I could delete the default wallet and rename my xyz_wallet ----- > default wallet. That would end in confusion galore. My wallet names have great significance on my end. Those names help me sort out things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.