ekrn.exe averaging 10% cpu on system idle

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by fixxxer, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fixxxer

fixxxer Registered Member

I decided to give Nod32 AV a go, downloaded and installed the trial version today. So far it hasn't been good. ekrn.exe is averaging 10% cpu usage even when my system is completely idle (no disk access either).
    I disabled Real-time protection and instantly went down to 0%. Once i enable it again it goes back to about 10%. This is no solution though. The cpu usage should be at 0% especially when doing nothing. The reason i decided to give Nod32 AV a go is because i wanted a lightweight realtime protection solution

Any clues on why this is happening? I haven't changed any of the default scanning settings.

My system specs :
    Core2 Duo processor 2.2ghz
    2GB ram
    Windows Vista 32bit

2. fixxxer

Alright i've found the problem. It kept scanning my sidebar.ini over and over again. I added it to the exclusion list and the cpu usage is 0% now :)

I think i saw in another post that one user had the same problem with his sidebar folder. Maybe a bug when certain gadgets are running?
    I'm gonna remove the exclusion and try closing some gadgets to see if a specific gadget is what's causing the problem

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello fixxxer,

For my own knowledge and for future reference, what program is "sidebar.ini" part of :doubt:

Bubba

4. techtype

techtype Registered Member

Should be Samurize.

5. fixxxer

Sidebar.ini is part of the Windows Vista Sidebar!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.