EICAR Test File Test!! Is Your Antivirus Web Protection Any Good??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ultragunnerdcl, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

F-Secure wipes 4/4 automatically, with no user intervention.

2. risl

risl Registered Member

got rid of the doc? :D

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, for the time being.

they are failing to answer my questions at the moment, and im feeling blue :)

might aswell give one of my other licences a whirl

... for the time being ;)

4. risl

risl Registered Member

I haven't got any replies about the few suspicious files I have sent to them. This could also be some spam filter/etc. problem.. though I get the "suspicious file submitted [id #blah]" message :oops:

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Excellent report with that result lonewolf, thanks. I also use AE and find it as aggressive as any malware, definitely a big boy with a big stick to boot.

6. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Off topic post removed.

And another off topic post removed. If people have a personal question for someone, please use the PM feature and refrain from making off topic posts. Thanks.

7. Ghostcloak

Ghostcloak Registered Member

Nod32 v3 passed all the 4 test. :D

8. ChrisBUK

ChrisBUK Registered Member

Kaspersky detected the test files the second that I clicked to download them. It allowed me to block all 4 files before they were even downloaded.

This is something that is lacking with Avira AntiVir, both classic and premium - they do not have a web scanner.
    When I tested those files with Avira I was able to download all of them, and it only detected 2 of the 4 files even when right clicking and scanning.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

For Avira to detect the zipped ones, you have to set the Guard to do that. It is not the default setting. On default setting, Avira will detect those two upon unzipping and attempting to execute. Avira will detect those before you can even download them. You just have to configure Guard correctly.

As for Avira lacking a webscanner, the Suite has a webscanner. I am beta testing version 8 and the webscanner, just like all other AV webscanners I have tried, crippled my computer. I had to uninstall that module just to be able to use the computer. Those scanners are totally redundant and unnecessary. <Snip>My internet speed was cut by MORE than ONE-HALF by Avira's webscanner. No point in paying for expensive broadband if your AV cripples your enjoyment of the internet. Guard will catch everything including the zipped eicars if set up properly so why endure extremely slow internet speed in order to have the webscanner catch the same thing Guard will catch without slowing you down?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2007
  10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Mele20, i used to think like you do..

KAV's web-av module is sooo transparent that i can hardly tell that it's there.

Pity that you hate Kaspersky o_O (yeah i know your reasons)

11. vukeidorian

vukeidorian Registered Member

Avast! kills all 4 guy!! lol

12. berng

berng Registered Member

This test is really useful. It will tell you if your AV product is set up correctly (is it really scanning?) and the action taken for different file types when detected. Its a good way to verify your setting are what you want them to be so when an actual virus arrives you're not surprised.

Most of this is obvious to users of this forum. Other users, who will benefit from these tests, probably don't know about them. It may be a good idea for all the AV makers to put in their documentation (in very simple well explained terms) that after installation to try out the EICAR site. Something like "try this and you will see what will happen if you get a real virus."

Its a matter of personal preference if you want archives scanned when downloaded. Some users want to catch viruses at download and others at extract time. The default for Avira is not to scan archives at download time. They will be caught when extracted.

You run your tests, you discover the defaults and then its up to you to change the behavior.

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

on the other hand....

should AV's really detect this, because its NOT malware or a threat.

FP-ALERT! :shifty:

14. AshG

AshG Registered Member

Agreed. It just seems kindof hokey to have a test file that everyone knows is just a test file. It defeats the purpose.

15. berng

berng Registered Member

The purpose is as I stated above, so it is useful.

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Eicar test is to thw AV industry the same as a "ping" command for a network administrator, so what is the fuzz about?

Avast free has a Web module so it kicks in at that moment. Avast standard shields checks at reads/executes/writes. Antivir free only checks at read and writes (on the gaming PC of my son it is only configured to check at writes). Does Avasts 4x checking in practise perform better than Antivirs check at write only? NO it only means that the virus is detected in an earlier stage. Looking at IBK's detection rates the paid antivir seems to perform better than (on detection rates) than the free Avast. I have no idea whether the free Antivir still detects more than the free Avast because it lacks the antispaywere component.

Regards K

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  17. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Sure it should, that's what it is made for.......come on now! I can tell you this much.....if I ever test an AV program and it is not able to tackle the Eicar stuff.........I sure as hell won't use that AV program. It is the minimum that should be detected.

18. yeow

yeow Registered Member

I think the 2 above posts best summize what the eicar test IS and ISN'T about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.