Edonkey2000 v1.0

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by termite, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. termite

termite Registered Member

When I run this version of edonkey it connects to the edk2 servers but not to the overnet servers. I'm just running LnS right out of the box, I havent configured anything yet, but I have allowed edonkey to access the net.

Help :/

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

have you any link to the official page showing which ports are needed for overnet ?

regards,

gkweb.

3. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

Hi

I have this same problem too with edonkey. It connects to edonkey, but not to overnet. I am using the edonkey rule set for LnS.

In edonkey, the ports used are:
    TCP:4662 and UDP: 12980

The ed website (for configuring the tiny f/w) says the following:

"First, find out what ports eDonkey is using, this can be done through the Options menu. They are listed in the Network tab.

Secondly, understand eDonkey needs to make outgoing connections from the two ports listed above. It will also randomly choose other outgoing ports to make file transfer connections on. eDonkey only needs to make incoming connections on the two ports listed above. So in general, eDonkey should be allowed to make any outgoing TCP connection, and should allow incoming connections (TCP or UDP) only on the ports listed above, this of course applies to ANY remote IP address. "

Should I edit the LnS ruleset, or change the port no's in edonkey?
    Sorry my newbie status means dunno what to do next...

Edit: I just did a shields up scan which showed my 4662 port to be open with the message: "Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED", though it passed on the solicited packets and ping echo. Should I be worried? Or is this a risk one takes with something like edonkey?

cheers

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  4. gkweb

Hi,

if I understand right, you need these rules :

because of file transfer :

local remote
    yourIP:anyPort TCP ----> AnyIP:anyPort (TCP connections)
    yourIP:anyPort UDP ----> AnyIP:anyPort

and then :

remote local
    AnyIP:anyPort TCP ----> yourIP:4662 TCP
    AnyIP:anyPort UDP ----> yourIP:12980 UDP

So I see 4 rules to make.
    Choose the ports you want in eDonkey, and modify your rules accordingly.

About the scans, if you are using a "file sharing" software, you open yourself to the world, so don't expect to be stealth.

regards,

gkweb.

5. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

Much appreciated gkweb :)
    I'll let you know if they work, assuming I can write these rules up (they will be my first)

I'm planning to get a router/firewall and use only the application filtering of LnS, assuming this is the right thing to do? if I can configure the router properly.
    Speaking of which, when using filesharing s/w, does a h/w f/w leave you less exposed (via port forwarding etc)?

6. gkweb

Hi,

a hardware router secures you more when using a file sharing software.
    First, all of your inbound traffic belonging to an existing outbound connections will be automatically accepted without the need to configure your router, and any other inbound traffic will be blocked.
    Then you have to forward at least two ports for edonkey, but forwarded to your computer and edonkey ports only, provides you a better security.

Make sure to choose carefully your router, many routers will simply lock up beyond 300+ connections.

Look'n'Stop has this feature (Statefull Packet Inspection or SPI) but it is not for now compatible with the high connections amount of P2P softwares.

regards,

gkweb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.