EAV ERA Console questions...

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rpelletier, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpelletier

rpelletier Registered Member

I'm looking elsewhere as well for the answers to these questions, but hope someone can save me some looking. In general, I am happy with EAV 3x so far (I am relatively new with it), but find its documentation somewhat lacking.

Is it possible to enter a name and password to always be used when pushing out EAV to a client on the LAN? It gets tiresome re-entering the admin name and password all the time. Why password protect the Console, then have to re-enter the admin name for each client install?

I have a list of folder exclusions I would like to push out - a long one for the server, and a shorter one for the clients. I am having a hard time sorting out how to push out changes, not just for an exclusion list but others as well, because the functionality of the various branches of the configuration editor isn't very well explained in the documentation so far. Is there a specific place for changing the way real-time scanning works, and a different place for startup scans and yet another for on-demand scans?

If I have a change I want sent out to the LAN, I will probably want that change added to my default installation package too - is that do-able?

Also, I have created a cfg.xml file that I use with the eav...msi installation file for installing the client as desired on off-lan systems, like in remote unconnected offices and laptops. If I want to send out configuration changes to them, do I have to completely uninstall the client on those systems, then re-install it with the new xml file? (I tried other methods, but none worked - even installing overtop of the previous installation didn't work.) Sems like a rather tedious way of making changes - it would be nice to have some way to import a new xml file into a system not under the management of the console.

Also, even though I selected "Strict Cleaning", my users are getting pop-ups asking them if they want to clean up something it finds. I don't mind if they get a notification, but I don't want them calling me every time asking me what to do - I want to trust the software to do what we'r paying it to do, and leave the users out of it.

Anyway, I will keep playing with this until I learn it well enough, but appreciate being able to pick the brains of those who have been there before me. I have been wainting for a call back from support for two days now - no repsonse yet.

Thanks.

2. Eryan

Eryan Eset Staff Account

Hi, some answers:

#1 No, this isn't possible. I'm assuming this is because different machines on the network often require different login credentials.

#2 Yes, there’s a different place to configure each type of scan in ESET Configuration Editor:

Startup scan settings: ESET Smart Security, ESET NOD32 Antivirus -> ESET Kernel -> Scanner (Startup scanner)

On-demand scan settings: ESET Smart Security, ESET NOD32 Antivirus -> Computer scan -> Scanner (On-demand scanner)

Real-time scan settings: ESET Smart Security, ESET NOD32 Antivirus -> File-system filter -> Scanner (File-system filter)

#3 Yes, but not automatically. The existing package will need to be edited and then pushed out.

#4 To do this, just open the main program window. Click 'Setup' -> ‘Import and export settings…’ This will create an .xml configuration file, which can then be pushed out to all other clients.

#5 Not sure if this is the case, but since the cleaning can be set based on the module, make sure you specify your cleaning preferences for all types of scans. Real-time, Web access protection, etc.

3. rpelletier

rpelletier Registered Member

Thanks for your reply.

I had puzzled parts of this out already. While this all seems sensible somehow, I still find some aspects of it confusing. (I may be thinking too hard, and understanding too little...)

I have heard (or maybe read somewhere) that "only changes made to an xml file are saved", but I never understood exactly what that statement meant. Sounds like an important piece of information, but I'm not sure what it means.

I am wondering if it might be easy enough to assume you're exporting something (into an xml file), only to discover later that only the most recent changes were saved (not the changes made during its previous editing session).

Does this make any sense to you?

Thanks again for your help...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.