DW - direct way to trust applications?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by raven211, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Not much to complain about DW - it does its job without any management really, unless I want to delete some malware traces I guess :rolleyes: - but as with all sandbox/isolating-type of applications, direct trusting of software that you're about to install is very important to make the operation seamless.

One reason I left GW, while being a great sandbox, no doubt, is that I got some problems if I went "out of bounds" - that's, I try to make something non-isolated. Sure, I can always save EVERYTHING that I want to install, on my desktop and so on and so on - but I don't like to do what I feel is unnecessary steps. Things could be made easier and working better. If I'm gonna use software, I want it to be as seamless as possible. GW didn't let me do this completely - I leave it. (Not the only problem, but that's another matter.)

So, what I'm wondering is, will there be, or is there some direct way to trust something that I'm about to install - something that's running and coming from say my browser, which makes it untrusted? To take an example... I was about to install P-CAV (see sig.) after DW was installed, so I download it, the setup starts, and I get the impression that at least should I be able to go into DW and its GUI, and finally take care of it there.

"Hmm... doesn't show up in the untrusted applications-list? Weird... Well, have to find another way then... What if I look under untrusted process(es)? Ah, there it's! What? I can't trust it even there!? Crap..."

That's basically how my mind went (:D), and then I would still have wanted an even more direct way to run something as trusted. Right-click menu of the taskbar on the item, something on the window itself, untrusted process(es) list (just mentioning since IMO it should be added, not because I would prefer going "that far" :p) - just some fast and convenient way to run something as trusted.

Thanks for any response. ;)

2. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

With upcoming V3 of DefenseWall, this issue is fixed as much as I could.

1. There is a whitelist of "known as good" software vendors. If you run signed by such a vendor module from within "Download Areas" folders, it will automatically runs trusted even if you run it with untrusted browser.

2. If it is not whitelisted, DW will ask you if you want to run it as trusted or untrusted (if running from within "Download Areas").

3. Defense can be now switched off by timer.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Ilya, all sounds great. You are to be commended for what I think is the rebirth of DefenseWall. You are going to make a lot of folks happy. Well, all but us pathetic 64 bit users, but it is our own fault. :)

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

that is why i prefer to stay 32 bit firendly:D

5. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Exactly!
    That's why I'm staying 32 bit friendly.
    Just not worth the aggravation.
    Hell, my 2 main programs, OA+ and DW would have to go.
    That ain't gonna happen. :)

jmonge,
    Noticed you added DW.
    Hope it's working out well for you! :thumb:

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

DefenseWall keeps getting better and better. :thumb:

7. raven211

I'm looking forward to it and will be interested to see it in action. :) Will manage with the workaround for now since I've done it when getting used to GW. ;) Good luck with the development and all the best. :thumb:

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i have it in wife's pc for about or more than a year now and i am trialing in my xp2 free 30 days:thumb: it is working fine here along winpatrol plus

9. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

It's not your fault. It's the fault of Microsoft to protect their users against innovative security vendors. :)

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree with this buddy:D

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Right click menu, not enough?

Ilya please, make this question run as trusted or untrusted an option I can set to omit? (so runs as untrusted by default, like it is). I like it that I have to enter a password for changes of status and Windows updates.

Attached Files:

12. raven211

What can I say? I'm used to the world of AVs, and I'm used to the freedom to simply click "Run" when downloading something and still be safe, and I like the simplicity to stay that way.

13. Kees1958

Raven211,

You do not have any direct disk/MBR protection at the moment. This can easily be tackeled by using OP free or ThreatFire (unliess you do not mind of course)

14. raven211

Okay, thanks for the heads up, Kees. ;) I'm always considering what to use as my setup. :rolleyes: :)

15. Kees1958

16. raven211

Sounds cool - too bad it's limited availability. Such tool would be great - always. Keep us posted on what you find out and maybe keep the installation file on your system for the time being. ;)

Will test System Protect again. :) Are you running it yourself, and in that case does it run light on your system?

17. raven211

I never thought of this before... how does it work when I install updates (for Windows primarily)? Do I need to take any extra action when doing so?

18. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

^^ if you mean DefenseWall, Windows Update starts in the required full rights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.