DVD File Size

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bristow, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bristow

bristow Registered Member

I have been looking at other posts on the subject of "Saving image to DVD" as I attempted to produce one which took up 3 DVD+R's and all seemed fine until I looked at the DVD's in explorer and found that the first 2 were unreadable apart from the last one, so that is 3 DVD's for the rubbish bin.
    (I have Roxio 7 installed in case this helps).

My questions are as follows:

1. If I save the image to my hard disk then copy to DVD's would a restore be able to read them?

2. I understand (from reading other posts) that I would need to save them as 2GB sections due to the limitations of a file on DVD's but there seems to be an issue as what numbers to "put in the box" as the drop downs only mention CD drives for example - 650MB - 650M CD Drive, so would I put in "2GB"?

3. I presume I could then just copy the files using explorer from HD to DVD.

4. Can I use DVD+RW or must they be DVD+R?

Sorry about all of the questions but any help would be appreciated.

Paul

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

1. Absolutely. Assuming the DVD is burned properly, on reliable media.

2. If you have TI8, then you'll want to type in "2000MB" due to the bug I have described here. Otherwise, typing in "2GB" should be just fine. 2GB is the file size limit on an ISO9660 filesystem. (The standard filesystem for CDs and DVDs)

3. You could try it, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you're dragging and dropping with Explorer, that's implying that you're using packet writing software/UDF filesystem. If you want maximum compatibility, you're going to want IS09660. In other words, burn a disc with your Roxio software. (Though I prefer Nero)

4. DVD+RW works and it makes sense. No reason to keep wasting new discs with write-once media. If you want to be safe, set up your recording software to do a verify after write. That way if your disc gets too scratched up or has too many rewrites you will know about it. (before it's too late)

You mentioned that your first two discs were unreadable... do you mean that you can't even see the files on them with Windows Explorer? If that's the case, or even that you can see the files but can't copy them correctly off of the DVD, then this is an issue out of the scope of the ATI software. Consider switching to a different media brand and/or burning at a slower speed.

3. bristow

bristow Registered Member

Thanks for all of the information and I have actualy managed to create a "Disk Image" onto DVD+RW and looked at them in explorer afterwards and no errors on reading the DVD's, the media I used before were free DVD's given away with some video software I had purchased, I used some TDK's DVD's and no problems.

You mentioned that if I saved the disk image to my HD in 2GB chunks that I could "Burn" to DVD I know that you use Nero (must have a look at this software) as in Roxio 7 there are so many options and I presume I would use "Creator Classic" to copy to DVD so that they are in the IS09660 standard but it warns me that ISO9660 is "not a valid file system for encrypted or multi disk projects" and the only other options are UDF120 and Joliet Bridge and as you mentioned ISO9660 that is the one I will use.

Thanks for your help
    Paul :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.