Dual graphics getting the better of me

Discussion in 'hardware' started by tradetime, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Stuck again o_O I have just upgraded my main PC and downgraded the old one. The old one is causing me the problem.

Win XP
    Dual graphics cards
    1x Radeon 7000 PCI slot2 (pci bus2 device6 function 0)
    1x Nvidia fx5500 PCI bus1 device 0 function 0

The Nvidia card has the most onboard memory, however when only 1 monitor is connected to this card and it is by nature designated the primary monitor no boot screen (the black and white, Press F5 for boot menu etc) appears during startup the first time the screen comes to life is the XP welcome screen. I connected a second monitor to the Radeon card and the initial boot screen appears here, even though the in settings this monitor is not enabled, once the welcome screen comes up the second monitor goes dark. Best way I can think to describe it is that it is as if this card is the "primary" card, how do I get my boot screen to come up on the monitor connected to the Nvidia card?
    Dunno if all that makes sense.

2. axial

axial Registered Member

Have you tried swapping the cards in the slots?

3. tradetime

Thanx axial, that's just the sort of answer I didn't want to hear :eek: people like me don't do things like that, was just hoping there was a really simple click on a few menus option. It's no biggie, since I am now running that PC as a dual monitor setup so if I need access to the boot screen it is there and everything else behaves as it should. Thanks again for the reply though.

4. axial

axial Registered Member

Just to be clear, I'm not familiar with those specific cards, but -- do both cards have only a single video connector on them, or does one or both have two connectors?

When cards have dual connectors then it's the connector nearest the motherboard that is the "primary". "Nearest the motherboard" is usually indicated by being aligned with the connectors for the keyboard and mouse.

5. tradetime

Sorry mate, no idea, that would involve me opening up the box :eek: that's not a road I want to travel, as I said above have things sorted to a level that's workable and I'll leave it there, again thanx for the suggestions and advice.

6. axial

axial Registered Member

I wasn't clear enough, I'm sorry. The connectors I was asking about are on the outside back of the computer, the ones that the cables from the monitor plug into. Does each video card only have one connector, or ...?

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Here is another suggestion you probably do not want to hear. :oops:
    IMO, go with 2 cards from the same manufacturer. Preferably matched cards. this equals one driver(s), equals no potential conflicts.

8. tradetime

Sorry, you technical guys need to make allowanes for me if you are going to get any sense out of me ;) the cards are dual output, 1 x vga and 1 x dvi connector.

9. tradetime

LOL, that's ok mate, don't mind hearing that, this is an old PC we are talking about, the replacement has dual Nvidia 9600 GT so no worries there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.