Dual boot system with Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux 8.04

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Graads, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graads

Graads Registered Member

Hello

My question: How can I put the Grub bootloader in the bootsector of the Linux-partition?

After installing Acronis True Image Home 2009 I activated the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager . This means that True Image wrote his own code (boot manager?) in the MBR of the first hard drive of my system. As a matter of fact the Grub bootloader installed bij Ubuntu was gone (as mentioned in the user guide, but I saw this too late).

The advice in the user guide is bootloaders like Grub to place in the bootrecord of the Linux partition. Until now I couldn't find anything in an Acronis forum or FAQ how such should be done .On an Ubuntu forum some one told me that the commands to use are nearly the same as for putting it in the MBR.
    Root (hd0,3) is unchanged
    setup (hd0) should be setup (hd0,3)

If this will be successful I have another question.

After I have seen how the PC starts with activated Acronis Startup Recovery Manager and what appears on the screen, I guess that I have to tell the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager (if it can act and indeed acts as a boot manager) where it can find Grub. But in the user guide not a single word about this stuff.

Graads

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

If your Ubuntu root partition is the fourth primary partition (hd0,3) then yes, the above commands will install GRUB to your Ubuntu partition. If you cannot currently boot into Ubuntu to do this then you can boot to a Live Linux CD and do it.

You do not need to tell the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager anything. All that is required is that the partition where GRUB is installed to is made the Active partition. You can do this when you make the above changes. Here is a summary:
    1. Boot to a Live Linux CD
    2. From a terminal, start GRUB
    Code:
    sudo grub
    3. Issue the following commands:
    Code:
    root (hd0,3)
    makeactive
    setup (hd0,3)
    Now when you reboot your PC you should briefly see the ASRM message. After a short delay, GRUB should start and allow you to choose which OS to boot.

It would be helpful to see your /boot/grub/menu.lst file to be sure that this is correct. If, for example, your current menu.lst file has a makeactive statement in the boot stanza for Windows, then you would also need to remove it so that the Linux partition remains the active partition at all times.

3. Graads

Graads Registered Member

Thanks a lot for this explanation. It is clear to me what I have to do and how.

Graads

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Graads,

We have the appropriate article in our Knowledge base, please click here

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

5. Graads

Graads Registered Member

Thanks Oleg for attending me on the articel.

Graads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.