Dual Boot Questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowy, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy

snowy Guest

would appreciate all advice..suggestions..tips

I've decided to try mandrake 8.2......an will download the iso files (3)......an burn copies. (nearly 2000 mb)

my intent is to put this on my present os by dual booting.
    I already have an older copy of norton ghost...never installed it...so have no idea how it works or how well it works.........any advise\remarks welcomed
    installing\using mandrake at this point is not an issue.....even if I decide against using mandrake I still would like a dual boot of w2k
    that leads me to my next question: How many boots can an os have?? an..if more than two...will norton ghost provide that option??
    so far this wont cost me much more than the price of the cd-rw cd;s.......if I need to put out more than I'll just purchase one of the new linux computers at walmart

snowman

2. snowy

snowy Guest

Fortunately I was able to locate alot of information and instructions on this topic. I only know of a few people here at the BB who dual boot so perhaps going this one alone would be more in order......

thanks just the same

snowman

3. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Hey snowman, I tri-boot w2k, win 98se and linux mandrake 8.2 as well here.

Some tips:

ALWAYS install windows before linux. This is because when you install linux, the boot loader will see the windows boot record and provide an option to boot into windows.

If you wanna have both w2k and win9x on your system, install win9x first. w2k will then offer its own option screen to boot either win9x or win2k.

so what we'll see at boot time is a linux boot screen allowing us to boot linux several different ways, or to boot into windows. If you pick the windows option you'll then see the windows boot screen and pick between win9x and w2k. it all works pretty slick with no special setup.

I don't use norton ghost ( I think I own it though), and can't answer questions regarding it.

dunno if any of that helps, but hey...there it is ;)

4. snowy

snowy Guest

Unicrom

thank you kind sir......yes..BIG HELP!! "Ghost" is completely new to me so right now thats my first hurdle....ther version I have is surely outdated but I think it can be update free...not sure....but only up to version right below version seven....which ever version that is LOL
    an alternative would be to put it on the same drive.....got lots of space.....but then may have to boot mandrake from a bootdisk......again not sure........it will boot without the disk but boots better by the disk......I THINK LOL
    an of course I just got to be the only dummy in the world who gets linked to a government website for the download of the iso images......great BIG...GET THE XELL OUT WARNING LOL......hey its a valid download link..

Unicron actually its after seeing you mention mandrake that I decided to give this a try......I've had it with windows......just have"nt the time to keep up with the exploits.....I don't know much about computers but I think I can pull-off this dual boot (triple boot) have got to re-install alot of my os to see what space is free.....should be more than enough.

thank you

snowman

5. snowy

snowy Guest

Will downloading the iso image was not such a good idea sloooooooooooow! could not get more than 50kb/sec which I could live with.....its just not fully knowing what all is in the downloaded iso images......don'r know if its a full install or not.

snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.