Dropbox with Truecript

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by go4java, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. go4java

go4java Registered Member

Hi,

I'm running Windows PCs with latest Dropbox client versions and the latest TrueCript on one of them. Reason? I want to encrypt my data before submiiting them to the "cloud" of Dropbox (as far as I know the actual hosting is on Amazon S3 systems - which I feel is save...).

I created a TrueCript file and moved this file to the Dropbox file structure (on the PC).
    Instantly, Dropbox started to sync with the Web container (2GB).
    Have to say that the TrueCript container (file) has a size of 1GB, so it took very long (maybe an hour) until this intial upload finished.

The TrueCript container contains 1 test file (50kB) which I edited, just to see how the 2nd sync to the cloud works...

Unfortunately, it seems to take the same (long) time to upload and I'm not sure if I'll have to modify a "timestamp setting" within TrueCript. I do not even understand how Dropbbox should differentiate a container and a file within. Does this work in general or do I have to define maly small TrueCript containers? If so, I'd rather prefer to use AXCRYPT and upload .exe.

Thanks & best regards

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, dropbox has no knowledge of Truecrypt. For dropbox, a 1GiB file has changed and that's it. So, this won't work as you'd wish.

3. go4java

...thanks, I've asking because I read somewhere that it should work, have to find the URL again. Sorry.

4. go4java

5. doktornotor

Well, the best "explanation" I found in this comment under the blogpost (sorry, no time to translate it, use Google Translate or whatever for those who don't speak German)

Alas, it doesn't work like that for me, as I've just tested, timestamps or not... :D

6. go4java

...I've been testing the guideline as mentioned earlier and it seems to work:

1.) I created a TrueCript container with a size 100MB (since I have a slow 2000kBit/s. internet connection, with 230kBit/s. upload rate).

2.) I set the flag "preserve modification timestamp of file containers" under TrueCript's settings >> preferences

3.) I dropped an image file to the container and changed a text file slightly

4.) Having closed the files and DISMOUNTED the TrueCript container e.g. Z:\, Dropbox instantly started the sync...

5.) Now it just took some seconds! to get the container data updated to Dropbox' cloud

CONCLUSION: Dropbox can contain an encrypted TrueCript file/container and if there are some updates on client side, ONLY THESE will be synced to the Dropbox storage system.

BR

7. doktornotor

Ah... you need to unmount the container. OK. Will play with this a bit more when I have some time to spare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.