Dropbox/other service question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm looking for a service, like Dropbox, that would allow me to share files to a restrict number of people, using a link (URL).

These files aren't confidential or anything. Just files I only want to share with certain people in real-time.

I took a look at Dropbox's website and found this:

It seems that the link(s) for Public folders means anyone could actually have access to the file(s) -http://www.dropbox.com/help/179

I also took a look at the Help page, and found this -http://www.dropbox.com/help/19, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Anyone using Dropbox knows if what I'm aiming to do is possible with Dropbox?

Is anyone familiar with any similar service, that would allow me to do that?

Thanks

2. m00nbl00d

There's also AVG LiveKive -http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-online-backup

It does seem to allow restriction using these User ID keys. Just not sure if allows to create links. :doubt:

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Look at www.adrive.com.

50 gig free storage -has always worked flawlessly for me. Regarding file sharing, this is from their FAQs...

Q: Can I share my files? If so, how?
    After uploading a file, you will have several options when you right click on the file or view the options at the bottom of the page. One of them is “Share”. This will move the file to your "My Shared Files" directory and a unique web link will be generated that you can share with anyone on the Internet. The recipient of this shared file just has to click the link to download. You can also use our email-a-friend feature. Just right click on your shared file and click on the “Email A Friend” button, enter the email of your friend, and the email will be sent to your friend shortly including the link to download the shared file.

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

How large are the files o_O

You could always use "TeamViewer" Doesn't get more secure than that and its FREE! ;)

5. m00nbl00d

I apologize. I thought I had mentioned it, but I didn't.

This link(s) would be added to an already installed and running application, and the information in this application would be updated as soon as I add more info into the uploaded files (in the service I'm looking for), which would then get to the application as URLs or whenever the people to whom such information is meant to are online.

Dropbox and LiveKive do allow that, but anyone could still try and guess the name of the files. Although the files contain no confidential/private information, they may contain information that cannot be publically available to anyone but the destined people.

I could just create an account in Dropbox, LiveKive or other and then share a folder with them, but they would have to manually add the files to the application. Adding direct link/direct links to the application would make things faster.

:argh:

I appreciate your feedback so far, and will be looking at what those services have to offer and if something can work out. :thumb:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  6. m00nbl00d

The files aren't that large really. At first, I thought of simply creating a Wordpress/Blogger blog and see if I could share unpublished articles (links) with them, and see if this could work. I guess I could give this approach a try.

I don't need nothing that fancy. Just something that allows that and gives security, so that the files don't end being publically shared, due to legal problems.

But, most likely this approach would fail at some point... I mean, an empty blog? It would eventually get closed. :D

I'll look into it. :)

7. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear m00nbl00d,

When you install dropbox it creates two folders for you in the directory of dropbox. These two folders are called Photos and Public. Both are for sharing. The Photos is more restrictive than Public, but both of them work on URL given by you to whoever you want.

Public is for things, for example images you want to share on forums, whereas Photos is for private viewing.

Also, dropbox works within Microsoft Outlook and Truecrypt. Any changes within them, are only synced (changed) to other locations rather than complete file being synced (changed).

For free dropbox gives you 2.0GB. You can earn 8.0GB free, in increments of .25GB for each person you introduce. For example, if I introduce you, I get .25GB free and aslo you get .25GB free and thus you start with 2.25GB free.

Shall I send you an invitation?

Best regards,

KOR!

8. aladdin

I also use dropbox to automatically sync my live data between my two laptops and my desktops. Any changes made to the live data in any of these three machines gets automatically synced to the other machines.

For example, I open a Truecrypt container of 1GB on my desktop, which already has 400MB of data in it and add another 100GB of data in the container and close it. The container is still 1GB but now it has 500GB data in it, so the extra data of 100B inside the container will automatically will be synced to my two other laptops, rather than completely 1GB being syned all over again.

Thus, dropbox works inside Truecypt and Microsoft Outlook at the same time it syncs between PCs and Laptops.

9. aladdin

Dropbox is not only cloud, but it is a syncing program between two or more PCs/Laptops. It syncs through your LAN to save you bandwith, but it also keeps a copy in cloud.

Any deleted files in your PC/Laptop is kept for three days, without affecting your totol storage limit and is kept on cloud for one month, in case if you decide to retrieve it.

10. m00nbl00d

Ouch...

-http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110621/01361414780/oops-dropbox-left-all-user-accounts-wide-open-four-hours-this-weekend.shtml

-http://blog.dropbox.com/?p=821

Don't they test for this kind of situation? I'm not just talking about Dropbox... Sure, bugs do exist, but these services should first test the new code for these kind of situation, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.