DriveClone Pro v3 feedback

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Brian Elias, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Elias

Brian Elias Registered Member

I have been testing FDISR, Rollback Rx and DriveClone Pro v3 for quick restore on a laptop. FDISR is very stable and reliable, but with the size of the snapshots it is nearly impossible to use on my laptop. I have been using Rollback Rx for some time and am just getting ready to uninstall it (again) after it buggered up my drive data (again). The features and speed of Rollback Rx are fantastic, but all of that takes a backseat to reliability. It has worked well for months, but you just never know. My last possibility is DriveClone Pro v3, which seems to offer possibly a good compromise, but I don't see much about it here at Wilders. In my somewhat limited testing it provides reliable backup, file version recovery and basic "goback" capabilities. I would appreciate any comments (pro and con) from people who are using it. - TIA

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

When you were using FDISR was the folder "My Documents" included in the snapshots o_O
    If you don't anchor the folder "My Documents" in FDISR, your personal data is included in ALL your snapshots.
    If your system = 10gb and your personal data = 100gb and you don't anchor the folder "My Documents" :
    1. The primary snapshot = 10gb + 100gb = 110gb
    2. The secondary snapshot = 10gb + 100gb = 110gb
    Total = 220gb
    Each time you create another snapshot, the volume on your harddisk increases with 10gb+100gb = 110gb

If you anchor the folder "My Documents" :
    1. The primary snapshot = 10gb
    2. The secondary snapshot = 10gb
    3. Your folder "My Documents" = 100gb
    Total = 120gb
    Each time you create another snapshot, the volume on your harddisk increases only with 10gb.

If you anchored the folder "My Documents" and the snapshots were still too big, then you need another solution. :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I too have been testing DriveClone and I like it.
    It offers a nice combination of system restore and disk imaging. Farstone changed the design and quit using a separate hidden partition. Instead DriveClone uses regular hidden files in the Windows filesystem. Which makes it more flexible and less prone to partition loss.
    One feature of Rollback RX or FD-ISR that I would miss in DriveClone is the ability to maintain (unlimited) different configurations. DriveClone only offers rollback and it doesn't retain the snapshots. If that is something you don't need, than DriveClone could work great for you.

4. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Does it mean that DriveClone Pro does not save last 10 snapshots like RestoreIt used to do?

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

It saves an unlimited amount of snapshots, but if I remember correctly it removes the snapshots when you perform a restore.

6. ErikAlbert

If you have any question about FDISR, there is a forum FirstDefense-ISR at Wilders, otherwise we will go off topic.

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Its more convenient,if you have a big "My Documents " to place it on another partition and then this backup seperately,result: snapshots are almost only system data with some app. and copy/updates are faster.

8. ErikAlbert

Yes, but not many users want to do this, the standard is still everything on one harddisk/partition.

9. Brian Elias

Brian Elias Registered Member

Yes, that's correct. DriveClone's restore function is a little like Goback in that it allows you to go back in time, but all snapshots later than your restore point are gone. I do like the FDISR & Rollback designs that let you boot to any snapshot at any time.

The problem with anchoring MyDocs in FDISR is that if you mess up a file in MyDocs it has no recovery. Some people are using FDISR with AJSoft Active Backup which seems like a very robust system. DriveClone Pro gives you that function built in. I do like the feature in Rollback Rx that allows me to mount any snapshot and that way get a history of all files, including MyDocs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.