Drive letter assignment discussion

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by foghorne, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Re: Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread

this discussion stemmed from a post in the wishlist thread and has been moved here - Detox

I thought the drive letters were assigned by the OS - not TI ?

F.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2006
  2. zz9plural

zz9plural Registered Member

No, they are assigned by both of them, and often they don't agree about the order.
    I would like either to be able to select the drive letters TI uses (for all drives, including optical!), or to be able to select letters for partitions during restore, which are currently assigned by TI, but are different in the OS.

If I disconnect HD2 in my example above and try to restore an Image-File I created of HD1, the optical drive will be assingned F, thus TI won't allow me to select F for the partition "system". TI will assign letter G for that partition and Windows will be upset. ;-/

3. foghorne

How do you conclude that?

F.

4. norrisg

norrisg Registered Member

Quite possibly because TI stand-alone uses Linux which doesn't use drive letters, therefore TI has to guess what they should be.

Graham.

5. foghorne

Again, I was under the impression that drive letter assignment was carried out by the OS. If each application could arbitrarily decide which letter belonged to which drive we wouldn't get very far. True Image is just an application.

I think the problem is that Windows uses a different strategy for assigning letters than Linux (or at least than the scripted Linux startup environment) does.

Are you suggesting that the Linux True Image application itself is responsible for mounting devices into the directory tree ?

F.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  6. zz9plural

It is. But the TI recovery cd does not use Windows. Maybe BartPE would do the trick, but for some reason my TI-9-Plugin does not work with the BartPE I created last time.

Yes, but if run via recovery cd the os is different.

Are you counting peas?
    Very helpful, indeed.
    The drive letters assigned by the recovery-cd are (ok, can be) different from the ones assigned by any other OS (if applicable).
    I assume that TI is able to "speak" to the LVM of the installed OS - if I restore an individual partition in the scenario above, I can select a drive letter for that partition and Windows will use this drive letter. Unfortunately TI blocks the drive letter I _have_ to use for my system-partition.
    Everything would be fine, if I could make TI tell the LVM to assign a drive letter to the selected partition, which is _currently_ used by another device.

7. foghorne

Apologies for trying to understand your problem. I'll know not to bother in future.

F.

8. zz9plural

There is absolutely _no_ relevance in _who_exactly_ assigns the drive letters. So why bother with that detail?
    BartPE mounts the optical drive as X - it would be very helpful, if TI could do that too.

9. foghorne

I hope you get what you want ;)

F.

10. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Ok, let us cut to the chase.
    The facts are that the Windows drive letter assignments may be seen differently when booted by the Acronis recovery CD.
    So to save any possible confusion the user should give a meaningful NAME to all the partitions in the system. This is easily done in Windows.
    From there on in drive letters are no longer significant as far as the user is concerned.

Problem solved.

Xpilot

11. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Following Howard Kaikow's advice I also added the familiar drive letter, assigned by Windows, in front of the meaningful name, so one of my drives appears as

E_Backup Disk (E: ) in Windows, and

E_Backup Disk (Whatever: ) in the rescue environment.

Foolproof and quick.

12. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Lets not forget there is no standard drive assignment in XP. The user is allowed to re-assign all but the system drive. Some people want their drive letters to be seguential (like me) so my drive letters are different than those originally assigned by the OS. Likewise, my optical drives have been re-lettered and now at the end of the letter sequence.

I know nothing of Linux but if it relies on rules, it cannot predict what the user will modify.

By the way, Acronis is not the only backup program whose drive letters does not match Windows. See unique link below

Most likely, the problem of wrong letter assignment was due to failure to keeping the OS from seeing the old drive. The old drive should have been removed before the first boot after cloning. Later, the drive can be attached--if preferred.

13. zz9plural

The old drive was not attached to the system when I first booted after cloning. Maybe I should clarify my example, as it does not show exactly what I did.

HD1 of this server looks like this:
    c: boot
    d: programs
    f: system

I made an online-image via TI Server 9, which preserved the drive letters correctly.
    Then I shut down the server, booted via TI recovery-cd and cloned HD1 to a newly attached clean HD, which also preserved the drive letters correctly.
    Everything could have been fine, if there had not been some, eh, circumstances, which rendered the copies of windows on both discs useless (driver issues).
    No problem, I thougt, I still have my online-image...which turned out to be useless when using the recovery-cd, because of TIs (Linuxs) different way of drive lettering.
    The only way to restore that image, was to put the image on a network share and use the BartPE-Plugin - BartPE uses X for the optical drive.

14. mdoty

mdoty Registered Member

I have an internal hard drive with only 1 partition lettered C.
    When I use TI 10 to clone it to an external Lacie Sata drive
    the letter D is assigned on the first reboot unless the power
    cable to the first hard drive is unplugged on the first reboot.
    It appears that synchronizing to the operating system on
    the first reboot to the new drive seems to ignore the fact
    that it is the first boot drive in the chain. I'm guessing the
    extra software for RAID/booting that comes with an external
    sata drive may not being taken into account so the synchronizing
    with operating system is the problem. Again, the solution is
    to pull the power cable off the first drive so the second drive
    is the first drive on the first reboot. Not sure if early versions
    of True Image had this problem. I can XXCLONE the drive
    correctly which doesn't do the synchronizing. Another
    alternative might be to use Disk Director and use copy partition.
    About to try that. Waiting for an early morning response to
    my email from Acrnonis. In that email I was told I was doing
    something wrong. I am not.

15. foghorne

The issue to do with preventing the newly cloned drive seeing the old on the first reboot, and the issue to do with preventing the source drive seeing the new partition before cloning are simply to do with the fact that the NT family cache drive letters assigned to partitions. This is nothing to do with True Image.

See http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.