Drive Clone 3 Pro & Norton Ghost 12

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Durad, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yep, and I'd use except for the nvidia driver ms chose to put in it. They cause me instabllity that shows up as errors on restore. Then if I go back to image with winpe version it works.

2. Peter2150

On the newer machine intel core duo 2.93 extreme
    on the older AMD Athlon 64 FX 62

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

very nice machines
    is the 2.93 dual core or quad core?
    i know both are very fast
    lodore

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Since I have to choose between Acronis and StorageCraft, I timed both Recovery CD's :

Linux Acronis Recovery CD ..... = 1m50s = 110s with 1 user selection
    WinPE ShadowProtect Recovery CD = 3m30s = 210s with 2 user selections
    Time-difference ............... = 1m40s = 100s

So the Linux Acronis Recovery CD loads 100s faster, quite a difference.

The backup/restore of StorageCraft is of course much faster than Acronis and I want to get rid of Acronis for several other reasons.
    I guess I have to live with the 210s-SPrecoveryCD. :cautious:

PS: Regarding SPrecoveryCD, I can't load the second option, it's stucked on the screen with "please wait..."
    I waited 12 minutes and it didn't continue. The first option works.
    The other 2 options are for reboot.
    The USB was OK, but I had to turn my external harddisk first, before I loaded the CD.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  5. Peter2150

Sorry lodore. It is a dual core. When I bought the machine, the quadcore's had just come out and were at 2.66. Since I don't run anything that would really benefit I went with the dual. Your right, they are very fast. I am spoiled.:D

6. Peter2150

You haven't built a bartpe disk have you. Be interesting to see. Intuitively bart and winpe feel the same timewise to me.

Unfortunately this whole issue is driven by drivers.:rolleyes:

7. ErikAlbert

No I never created a BartPE Acronis Recovery CD, I have the information how to do it, but I was too lazy to do it.

I never used the Linux Acronis Recovery CD for daily backups and restores, because ATI makes it possible to restore my system partition from Windows.
    I only used this CD to restore an image on zero-ed harddisks.
    Of course I tested this CD thoroughly during the first months, so I know it works when I really need it.
    I don't ditch ATI, because it didn't work properly, it never failed on me. :)

8. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Lodore,

I would consider First Defense if I were you.

Say you have a primary and a secondary snapshot.Before you test a software you could first copy/update the secondary snapshot.Install the test software .if you don't like it simply reboot to the secondary snapshot and copy/update the primary.That test software would be gone. FD is way faster than paragon:thumb:

9. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Here we go again guys - with 'my software is better than your software'. Even if that's not the case, all of this is OT. :gack:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I have to agree with pvsurfer before we go too entirely onto a whole separate subject here.

So then my question brings us back OT. I really do need to know anyone who is currently using Drive Clone 3 Pro and what benefits you are seeing with it. As for Norton Ghost, how good is it's Cloning since this Topic Title seems to suggest see-sawing between imaging to file as opposed to cloning.

Thanks

11. ErikAlbert

The Recovery CD of Norton Ghost 12 has no Backup function, which means that NG12 is an incomplete Image Backup software and will be ditched by knowledgeable users in advance. So the cloning doesn't matter anymore.

NG12 targets less-knowledgeable users, who don't know much about backup, but are smart enough to do a daily backup.
    As far as I could see NG12 starts with a full backup and takes incremental backups after that and its all guided and arranged by Norton, not by the user.
    NG12 is very fast and will be even faster during the incremental backups and that is good for less-knowledgeable users, who don't like to waste much time on backup.
    With NG12 the user won't forget his backup, because Norton will warn him regularly to do a backup via messages in the system tray and a red warning screen when he opens NG12 to scare him enough.
    As long the user listens to NG12 the backup and restore will be a very easy job on his computer.

I couldn't evaluate the Recovery CD of Drive Clone 3 Pro, because I couldn't make one. DC3 looks to me like NG12 without the gadgetry.

12. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Backup? Do you mean Recovery?

Mike

13. ErikAlbert

If you use the Recovery CD of NG12, you can't do a backup, only a restore. With the Recovery CD of SP, I can do both.

14. flinchlock

Oh... maybe they need to make a "Recovery/Backup CD of NG12".

That sux,
    Mike

15. ErikAlbert

That sux indeed, because I like to take backups of my harddisks even when NG12 isn't installed. For instance a backup of a clean installed Windows + drivers. I can use such an image later to re-install Windows from scratch without doing it manually.

16. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Hi Mike, it seems that you didn't see pvsurfer's eval of NG12...

17. flinchlock

I do know for a FACT that "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost 2003\ghost.exe" (1,031,428 bytes) can be put on a floppy/CD/DVD and can create/restore images of partitions or entire harddisks... I have done more than 200+ times.

With minor messing, you can add mouse and network drivers... create/restore images of partitions or entire harddisks to a network server.

Does NG12 have a "1,918,788 byte GHOST.EXE"?

If so, you too can also create/restore images of partitions or entire harddisks using a CD/DVD.

Mike

18. pvsurfer

Ghost 2003, aka Ghost 8, was the last of the 'real' Ghost series. I believe Symantec merged Ghost with Drive Image (ex-PowerQuest) starting with Ghost 9 and from that point on the product relied on .NET Framework.

From what I am able to determine, there is no way to simply run a 'ghost12.exe' out of the framework (pardon the pun) of its Windows installation.

19. flinchlock

I said GHOST.EXE... it is a DOS program, but too big for a floppy. GHOST.EXE does NOT need/use/lookfor/require/careabout/etc .net framework. Just look in C:\Program Files\Symantec...

Also, there should be a GDISK.EXE and GDISK32.EXE. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Mike

20. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Intel will be entering the image backup arena :)

21. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I still use Norton Ghost 7.5 Enterprise Edition. The newer versions seem like bloatware compared to it. All I want to do is stick a boot floppy or CD into a system and back it up over the network or another drive, without having to install software onto the machine I want to backup. Do any of these do that like my old 7.5?

22. flinchlock

Please look at Drive SnapShot 1.3 :thumb: :thumb:

I have used a Ghost 2003 boot floppy/cd/dvd for ever and ever and ever, and I can not say enough good things about it. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I did buy Paragon Drive Backup 8.51, and I do like it pretty well.

But, if I had to do all over again, I probably would of bought Drive SnapShot. It only uses about 4M installed, but 99.9% of that is help/.htm/.png/etc. The only real program is about 250K. That same program works in Windows, and on a DOS floppy!

Mike

23. ErikAlbert

I'm not going back to DOS, which was never an userfriendly OS anyway.
    Only a generation of ex-DOS-users will recommend softwares like DriveSnapshot.
    You can't compare an empty DOS-prompt "C:\>" with a Desktop.
    Although my first computers were all DOS, I gave up on DOS after using Win95.
    Too many DOS-commands and each DOS-command has a bunch of parameters.
    A regular mistake at work with DOS was that users typed "DEL A*.*" to delete all files on a diskette and couldn't reboot their PC anymore after that.

Paragon Drive Backup is a combination of Defragmenter, Partition Manager and Image Backup and they have put all these functions on one main screen, which is very confusing for a less-knowledgeable user, who only wants a backup. Paragon's first menu should be :
    1. Image Backup.
    2. Defragmenter.
    3. Partition Manager.

24. pvsurfer

Just to tell you guys that I managed to borrow a DC3 installation CD from IT - if all goes well with the install, I'll test DC3 over the weekend. ;)

~pv

25. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I will be glad to hear your results. So far ShadowProtect is the most compatable, speediest and least problematic product on my systems. Still like TI's interface but would have to create a BartPE disk for it to work with my hardware. May do that but wish i did not have to go to that extent. Paragon HDM 8.5 seems okay but compression levels don't seem to be as good as SP and TI.

Again, will await your results. Thanks.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.