Dr Web-Version-5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Badcompany, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Any more news regarding Dr Web version 5? I have emailed their support and have posted in their forums but have yet to receive a response.

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Nothing......It is in the pipeline.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

just be happy that alot of things are being added to V5.

4.44 should be very close ;)

but im curious myself about it being just a beta that is now released, or some new things added that have been tested internally.

only time will tell i suppose.

4. n8chavez

But if it never gets released then what is the point. I would have expected you to be a bit more anxious than me, after all you started the thread at the Dr Web forums to which I was referring.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

of course i want V5,

some of the things inside it are truly great for drweb ;)

but it will be out, when it is.

i too, wish it would be soon.... or at least a beta, but this is drwebs decision, not mine. :rolleyes:

with 4.44 soon to be released, maybe the v5 beta is due.... who knows.

6. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I appreciate your enthusiasm for DrWeb and we all are looking towards version 5 or whatever. But, the truth is nobody knows (except Drweb developers of course) anything about version 5. Just a forum rumor so far….

tD

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

your not quite right, i know 'a little bit' about V5 ;)

however, if its allowed out then i will say something on here, and at the moment i gave my word not to, so this is final... for now.

but even though we want V5 as customers, 4.44 is next and is coming soon, so lets see what thats brings first.

i am curious about V5 aswell though, there is alot of things going into it..... i wonder if it could compete at the 'highest level'

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  8. n8chavez

Well I do hope that version 4.44 or cersion 5 for that matter is not affected by the CPU bugs that version 4.44 beta is. The beta version is very CPU intensive regardless of the configuration. As it turns out, I bought a two year licence for Dr Web even though I thought I bought a one year.

9. Technodrome

All you gotta do is read Russian forum and you will know a bit more (unofficially). :)

tD

10. Technodrome

I hope so too. But to have this happen they need to rewrite the code which is very old.

Anyway...
    As a DrWeb user I must tell (sadly) that they are a way, way behind everybody else in terms of inventing new technologies. One of the strongest points that made them popular was strong heuristics and unpacking engine (late 90s). The same heuristics is used today with little tweaks but nothing new.

What I am afraid of is by the time they catch up with everyone it just will be too late.

tD

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  11. n8chavez

Well, I'm a little confused here TD. It seems to me that you are saying two very specific things; (1) That you aknowledge that Dr Web suffers from high CPU usage, and (2) that Dr Web is outdated tro the point where you would not advise using it. Is any of this correct?

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the beta uses new heuristic technology,

and i use the beta and certainly dont have high CPU usage.

V5 will have a behaviour blocker, so even if you doubt their detection, kaspersky users will tell you what these can do, and im told it will be 'different' but better than kasperskys PDM.

13. n8chavez

Really? That has been one of the reasons I have been considering switching. The CPU is really active when I browse websites or delete files. Both of those activities cause CPU spike which result in slowdown, or, if I am listening to mp3s, my music skips. I use the beta version to.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, but mine never goes over 50% and it only does that when im doing a full scan.

its usually only 1-25% at any given time, although if i download a file... it does go high for a few seconds but thats because its scanning it.

anyway, this is a beta and the most stable of all betas available from anybody.

15. n8chavez

This is true. With that in mind, could you please open a bug report regarding the gui issues I PMed you about earlier? I can't seem to be able to open an account.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont have see this GUI problem though :doubt:

my spider.sys file loads everytime

17. n8chavez

Okay. That's fine. As you just said
    You might not have that issue. But the fact that I do means that other might even if you are not effected.

18. Technodrome

Only visible CPU spikes. Although, if you keep an eye on task manager and process "system", you will see that it consumes more CPU with DrWeb installed then without it.

I am not saying it’s outdated. What I am saying is that there has not been any major changes to the code in a very long time. Its still effective but needs some make over soon.

tD

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the feature list for 5 that i currenty have, built up from information from a few people, is already quite huge and its probably only 10% of the total feature list scheduled.

V5 is not just going to be an update to the current program, its gonna look and feel like a whole new product, but keeping with it, the things that its customers like.

some companys (well .. most) bring out new versions with one new thing added, new heuristics, http scanner, new gui or something to change it 'slightly'.

however, drweb are releasing V5 with soooo many things, it truly can be called 'a new version', i hope their hard work pays off and its a good product and well-made, i shall look forward to the beta.

but, its 4.44 that is next, it has the new heuristics, better registry cleanups etc and they might even add something to it when its released, something that has not been on a public beta, so we should all look toward this version first :)

20. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Ok, I see these threads more then a few times now here and one thing bothers me about this. This is almost all conjecture, once a press release is out for the company then maybe they will have some "worth", these new features that is. But when they can't or don't wish to divulge a even remote release date for the V5 beta how can anyone be sure? Yes Dr. Web is a good product, was a good product and hopefully will remain a good product but until the actual "proof is in the pudding" for this new version everyone is in limbo.

21. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Version 5 is vaporware, on a par with the next version of Windows and Playstation 4. From being a fearsome, venomous arachnid the green spider has morphed into an fangless daddy-longlegs.:oops:

Trying to incorporate too many improvements was what caused excessive delays in the release of Vista. Now DrWeb seems to be going down the same path of self-flaggelation by trying to incorporate a jillion improvements into version 5.

Better we should have a better DrWeb SOON, instead of a perfect DrWeb waaaay too much LATER.

DRW outfit should do it in stages -- 5.01, 5.02, etc -- but DO IT SOONER rather than later.

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

dont agree of course,

a better drweb is arriving, 4.44

and even better one will be v5, i have no doubt that 'this' version will be something to compete with the top-range products available.

the feature list is massive, and if they keep it low on resources as its known to be, it will be a 5 star product.

keep the faith.

23. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I totally agree with you on this!! There are some small issues like the freezing of comp for a few seconds after sig update that should have been fixed long ago.

24. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Completely agree. I find this temporary freezing of 3-5 secs (here) after each update very annoying.

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok but isnt this expected with on-the-fly updating?

its also not the only av that does a little freeze while its updating

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.