Dr.Web SpIDer Mail Beta2 released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Paul Wilders, Aug 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

The second public release of beta-version of SpIDer Mail program - a unique anti-virus utility for ANY mail client using POP3 mail protocol - has been released.

The following improvements have been made to the previous version of the program:

- operation under Windows 95/95 OSR2 improved
    - operation with different user rights under Windows NT/2000/XP improved

New features have been added to the program:

virus databases reloading without system reboot
    protection against mail-bombs (the archive files compression degree control in the attachments)
    protection against a hard drive overflow in the course of the large files check of e-mail attachments

The SpIDer Mail program runs under Windows 9x[me=Forum Admin]and Windows NT/2000/XP operating systems and is released in two variants: for workstations (Home Edition) and for servers (Server Edition).[/me]

The client variant is designed for anti-virus check of all in-coming E-mail messages received through POP3 mail protocol to the local computer from Internet/intranet.

The server variant works as anti-virus POP3 proxy-server. All the incoming requests from POP3 clients are processed and redirected to the determined POP3 servers checking all incoming messages for viruses.

Upon detection of a message containing infected objects it will be, depending on the settings, either deleted or moved to a special quarantine folder (a user being notified).

SpIDer Mail normal operation requires Doctor Web for Windows v.4.28a with the engine updated to version 4.28b. You can check your Doctor Web for Windows version number in Doctor Web program menu "Help"|"About")

You can download both variants of SpIDer Mail beta version (about 100Kb in size) from the FTP-site of DialogueScience, Inc.

ftp.dials.ru/dsav/english/drweb32/spdml_h.zip - for Home Edition
    ftp.dials.ru/dsav/english/drweb32/spdml_s.zip - for Server Edition

2. root

root Registered Member

Donky chaines. :D I'll give it a try and see if anything blows up.

3. Paul Wilders

Looking forward to your findings! ;)

regards.

paul

4. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Will someone kindly explain these instructions o_O

Press the "Start" button and chose "Run"
    o_OPress "Explore" and find Spiderml.exe file in Doctor Web anti-virus program folder
    o_OAdd the key -remove in the "Open" line after the file name "[path to DrWeb folder]\SPIDERML.EXE"
    Press "ОК"
    Restart the computer to complete the process of the program deinstallation
    Unpack the downloaded version of SpIDer Mail and run it. Restart the computer after installation
    Where's 'Explore" option?
    Where's {path to DrWeb folder] ?
    I find these instructions rather confusing o_O o_O o_O
    Thanks
    Tim

5. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

I just installed without rebooting:

Make sure you're using DrWeb 4.28b, but the previous beta required 4.28c. Why not update to 4.28d, this is the version I'm using.

If you have a previous version of spider mail disable spider mail by right clicking on the tray icon and clicking on disable.

If you have a previous version of spider mail remove it. Go to the spider mail folder (default c:\program files\drweb) and run the command "spiderml -remove"

Extract the content of the latest beta to the DrWeb folder. Default = c:\program files\drweb

Install Spider mail by running the following command from the spidermail folder:
    spiderml -install

Press yes/ok to reboot

This new version finally works on my Win2K SP2 system. The previous beta didn't.

6. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Hi Diginsight, thanks for the reply. How do I go about "Running a Command"? Where is that option?
    Regards
    Tim o_O

7. root

root Registered Member

Go to start>run> type in "C:\Program Files\DrWeb\SPIDERML.EXE -remove" without the quotes and choose ok. It will ask you to reboot, do it.
    Then when you unzip the download, copy all four of the files to the DrWeb directory. It will ask you if you want to replace the other files, say yes to all.
    Then back to run and type in "C:\Program Files\DrWeb\SPIDERML.EXE -install" without the quotes. It will pop up a box saying Spidermail is not installed, do you want to install it, say yes and reboot when it is done.
    You should be good to go now. Yes it IS confusing.

Paul, looks good so far, but the install routine leaves a lot to be desired. If you have any influence with them, I would suggest to them that they use an installer/uninstaller routine in the future. They will quickly get a bad name if they keep this up. People just love to nitpick software to death now a days.

Diginsight, does you DrWeb say version 4.28d on the main interface page? Mine says 4.28c, but the engine is listed as 4.28d. I can find no way to update it further.

8. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

It will still show your present version number,this is from the included readme;

.....All new improvements are made within the antivirus engine of Doctor Web
    (module drweb32.dll), thus the engine acquired the version name 4.28d.
    Still, all the shells have been left unchanged, preserving a visible number
    of version 4.28c (for Windows) or 4.28a (for other systems).......

9. Paul Wilders

Hi root,

Be assured I'll contact them in case the final release does not include an installer/uninstaller.

Personally I ditched it after trying it out - I do prefer the separate plugin for The Bat! - more fine tuning possible.

10. Paul Wilders

root,

It doesn't.

It's the engine that counts; you've got 4.28d installed ;).

regards.

paul

11. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

12. root

root Registered Member

Thanks Tinribs, Paul, and TAG97.
    I use Poco Paul, never could get the hang of The Bat. I'm glad someone came out with a good email checker that works with Poco. I suppose it makes sense to wait a bit for the installer.
    I wish Outpost 2 were a little quicker at getting here too. Looks like Sept. sometime for Beta release. :(

13. Paul Wilders

root,

Poco isn't bad at all, is it? ;)

Throw in some bottles of Stolichnaya for Mikheal - anything could help speeding up the OutPost 2 development :D

regards.

paul

14. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I don't think so Paul! It would dramatically slow things down! :D :D :D

Technodrome

15. Paul Wilders

TD,

ah! Ever been to Russia? Apart from St. Petersburg (my personal farovite) and Moscow being treasures to visit, for us "outsiders" as we are, it's hard to grasp the culture and way of life - even if we try. Vodka (ever give it a thought why that's one and the same word for "water"?) is a substantial part of the way of life over there? ;).

Dobre, tovarish :cool:

regards.

paul

16. Technodrome

Never been to Russia but I know what you mean! :D
    You should try our famous plum brandy called "Sljivovica"! ;)

Technodrome

17. Paul Wilders

Tried it - many years ago - in the days that area was called "Yugoslavia" (Split or Zagreb, can't remember exactly where :rolleyes: ). That's hard liquor no doubt - especially the home made "brands" :D.

regards,

paul

18. Technodrome

Its a hot sucker no doubt! :eek: :D

Technodrome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.