Dr Web question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Why is disable enhanced protection mode have a tic for default. I t would seem you would want this active on the intial installation.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i did wonder this myself,

but maybe some people dont want it scanning files without their say-so, if you know what i mean. :cautious:

no idea, its a strange one.

cant remember if this was the case with the released version or not, but its definatly the case with the beta.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

it is that way in beta and regular release. Serge?

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

post it on bugs.drweb.com and it will be assigned to a staff member for correction if they feel the need for it to be fixed.

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

6. pipester

pipester Guest

It's checked by default on the regular installation of DrWeb. I just downloaded the application. From the help file:

By default, SpIDer Guard XP version operates in the enhanced protection mode. In this mode the guard immediately checks all files, the scanning of which is specified in the program’s settings, and all other opened files are put on the queue for check (files opened for reading in the Smart and Create and write files modes). With the computer resources available, the guard will also check these files.

7. Serge Popov

Serge Popov AV Expert

I'll explain, just in case you are curious.

Enhanced protection is disabled by default. If you delete drweb32.ini, open SpIDer Guard Settings and click Ok, you'll get pure defaults. Of course, installer can override initial settings.

This is a long story. When original 4.33 came out, enhanced protection was enabled, because its a cool feature. But first release of 4.33 was so slow in real life, people started to complain. The truth is a bit more complicated, with 4.33 we got a way more unpackers and new containers, improved heuristics and other things. For example, with the same test set 4.33 can process up to ten times more objects compared to 4.32. For a month or two we had hard time improving performance. Now SpIDer Guard is as fast, as in 4.32 (or even better). On-demand scanner still a bit slow, but getting better too.

But enhanced protection is still disabled by default.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.