Dr. Web Online Scanner

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by achy, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. achy

achy Guest

When F-Prot identified a file as infected, I suspected a false positive and tried to confirm that by uploading the file to be checked by the Dr. Web Online Scanner and the similar Rambler/Kaspersky scanner. Both declared the file to be virus free (and it was).

The uploading lasted only about three seconds, however, whereas at least 20 seconds would have been required to upload the entire file. Does that seem legitimate to you? Can they declare a file virus-free after scanning only part of it?

Dr. Web Online Scanner
    http://www.dials.ru/english/www_av/home.htm

Rambler/Kaspersky online scanner
    http://antivirus.rambler.ru/db/

2. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

It seems ok to me, but to double check why not download a trial version of a good av,DrWeb for instance. :)

3. achy

achy Guest

Are you saying that scanning, say, only 50K of a 500K file is legitimate practice? That's what I'm wondering.

4. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

It should scan whole file! Sometimes server is too busy and it could cut down on the size of file.
    Try again!

Technodrome

5. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Send the file to support@complex.is and they will check if the file is malicious or not. This has the big advantage that the false positive of F-Prot will hopefully removed with the next update.

wizard

6. achy

achy Guest

That all has been done. It was a false positive. I apologize for the unclarity.

My question and concern were about a seeming problem with these upload-a-file virus scanners. These are an attractive service in principle and carry impressive brand names. But if they are going to give an "all clear" after examining only a tiny fraction of a file, they aren't much good, I guess.

Do you know of a way to obtain an objective measure of bytes sent in Win98? ZoneAlarm has a bytes-sent field, but it went wild when I tried it with Dr. Web Online---a 700 KB upload showed as 31 MB.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.