Dr Web now installs a driver...?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Lovecraft, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Registered Member

I've just downloaded DrWeb Cureit from freedrweb.com and ran it, as usual... but this time, after a scan, it asked to reboot. I checked the memory with Root Repeal just in case, and noticed that these items appeared:

Name: MnbRWV2m.sys
    Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\MnbRWV2m.sys
    Address: 0xF22CE000 Size: 142464 File Visible: No

also these:
    Name: Fastfat.SYS
    Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\Fastfat.SYS
    Address: 0xF2DFF000 Size: 143360 File Visible: -

Name: Ntfs.sys
    Image Path: Ntfs.sys
    Address: 0xF73C7000 Size: 574592 File Visible: -

(I also have regular, non-hidden Ntfs.sys and Fastfat.sys listed.)

None of these files, when dumped with RootRepeal, is flagged by anything on Virustotal.

The file apparently ran/installed/whatever by DrWeb is the MnbRWV2m.sys file, which is 142464 bytes when dumped with RootRepeal, and its CRC32 is EF2FECF5 then.

Did they add something or am I getting paranoid?

2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Registered Member

Now I noticed it's updated to v5.0 from the previous 4.44. I guess that should be the reason...

I have not yet restarted yet, but for some reason, after I ran it CureIt again, it has not asked me to restart now.

Edit: I restarted, ran Cureit again, and it again asks me to restart after completing scanning... what is this, was this introduced in v5? Will it keep happening after every scan, and why?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  3. risl

risl Registered Member

Don't know about CureIt but Dr.Web AV 5.0 uses atleast 2 drivers, spider.sys as a file system monitor and dwprot.sys for self-protection. But it doesn't sound "OK" that it asks for you to reboot after each scan, do you have some other software that prevents driver installations or even writing them to HD? I assume they use some kind of driver in CureIt too and it sounds like something pervents it.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

unless im mistaken, cureit used to use a driver and remove it when you exit from the program, dont know if this is still the case.

5. format_c

format_c Registered Member

no, you're right ;) Dr.Web/CureIt scanner loads Dr.Web Shield (anti-rootkit) driver at its start-up time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.