Dr.Web AV v5 scanning time

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by egghead, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egghead

egghead Registered Member

I'm running dottore Web v 5 AV

Scanning time (full scan) takes > 8 hrs (archives & mail scan enabled),
    with the latter disabled > 6 hrs. :eek:

With version 4 the times were 2.15 hrs vs 1.30 hrs.

Is it just me o_O?

Has the doctor taken revenge on me ?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. risl

risl Registered Member

How many gigabytes of data and which kind of files? How fast is your computer?(cpu, ram, hd) Have you changed some settings in drweb32.ini? Do you have some other security software running with Dr.Web, perhaps there is some double checking. When Dr.Web reads/opens/access a file then the other security program would check the file too?

3. risl

risl Registered Member

It takes around 35~ minutes for me to do a full scan with archives/mail, default priority and heuristic analyzer enabled.

This is 75~ gigabytes of data and 135243 files scanned according to Dr.Web. Typical computer containing programs, installers, windows xp3 installation, movies, mp3's and documents/misc files. It's an old AMD64 3800+/1GB that I bought in 2005 or early 2006. I don't have any real-time security programs running except Dr.Web itself. Files are defragmented automatically in screensaver, using JkDefrag. I also use CCleaner and RegCleaner occasionally.

4. Arin

Arin Registered Member

The difference is humongous! Maybe you can also double click on the system tray icon and copy the entire content here. I think there is some problem with installation.

5. egghead

Yes, I already was experimenting with disabling active protection of Counterspy. After this the scan ran faster.

However, like with v4, Dr Web seems to have problems with certain files on my rig. I could solve this problem by unchecking scan "archives" in v4. Not this time. There is 1 file it cannot get through (or it can, but it takes ages) . Dr Web was scanning this file for > 1 hour.

I have ended the scan at 96 % with 4 hrs on the counter. DrWeb had scanned 320361 objects. I had scan archive & mail disabled.

P4 3.2 GHZ, hyperthreading techno
    2 gig memory
    150 gig HD divided in 3 partitions with total of 45 GB data

6. risl

risl Registered Member

What file was it?

7. egghead

a setup.exe file

8. risl

risl Registered Member

You could report it to dr.web and give them a link for the file or send it for them. Perhaps there's some error in processing some specific file type in scanning engine that needs optimizing/fixing, you never know.

9. egghead

I have traced the naughty file and it is on its way to the DrWeb.

10. format_c

format_c Registered Member

is it Nero setup?

11. egghead

no. It is xsitepro (website design software)

12. format_c

format_c Registered Member

what size is that file?

13. egghead

233 MB

14. egghead

I have tried to send the above mentioned file to Dr.Web but for one reason or another I could not connect. Have tried it on different days. Gave up on this one. I have made Dr.Web skip the file during a scan. I know the file is o.k.

The scanning time is not the fastest: > 2 hrs with "archives" disabled.
    This is not a problem for me because I know from experience that the Dr. does a thorough scan. A couple of days ago I helped a friend who's pc was heavily infected. Dr. Web took care of business (as usual). MBAM also should be mentioned in this case.

I am pleasantly suprised with the number of updates with v5; quite an improvement compared to he last version.

However, stil not a quarantine area and a "restore to original location" button. :rolleyes: The people at Dr.Web seem to miss that this is an important/user friendly feature for digibetics.

I have renewed my license for the doctor. They are heading in the right direction with the latest version.The improvements are "under the hood".

15. risl

risl Registered Member

I can upload the file to my ftp and let them download it. If you can provide me something where I can get it.

16. egghead

Thanks, but don't bother.

As I have mentioned above, the file is save and it is skipped during scanning.

17. risl

risl Registered Member

If there is a problem in the scanning engine I would like to have it fixed, therefore I would bother myself with it.

18. egghead

I have tried twice again with no success. :mad: I have tried it now for 7 or 8 times on different days. It's enough now, I have other things to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.