Dr. Watson kills Prevx home gui

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by lynchknot, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  2. lynchknot

ok well, it's been more than 24 hours. I suppose no one knows and I am to do without Prevx anymore. As usual, thanks for your help (many of my posts are, for the most part, unanswered for the first 24 hours and I usually end with a sarcastic, "thanks for your help") Not that I'm owed a response or anything. Just a "hello I don't know" would be nice - just to acknowledge that you've read my post.

3. lynchknot

perhaps I need to move this thread. With 37 views I thought someone would chime in and say hello at least. o_O

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

5. lynchknot

Thank you very much for responding.

I can disable it but there's some reason why it's appearing.
    As I said, I can prevent Watson but Prevx will crash anyway

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi lynchknot,

Apologies for missing your post. It looks like sagui.exe is crashing and Dr. Watson is trying to debug it. Disabling Dr. Watson will not stop sagui.exe from crashing.

Nick

7. lynchknot

yes, I know nick s - I edited my post above as you were posting. Thanks for your reply. I took this over to Castlecop's Prevx forum but no response yet. I'm thinking it's not a Prevx issue as it's been working fine up until now.

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

If you let Dr. Watson do its job, it will generate a log in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson. You could submit the log to PrevX support and see if they can spot the problem.

Nick

Edit: just saw your reply, but a Dr. Watson log still might be worth submitting.

9. lynchknot

Thanks, I knew there was a log somewhere but did not look there. I suppose this is good enough as it repeats the same info every boot up. I have downloaded and installed several times but no go.

Hold on. I've seen this before:
    I tried to get into add/remove windows (to enable whatever "symbol" is - but see this roadblock

http://img140.exs.cx/img140/8968/addremove4wz.png

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

That should help them pinpoint the issue :).

Nick

11. nick s

nick s Registered Member

That error popup looks like a Windows Messenger issue. Have you uninstalled or somehow disabled Windows Messenger?

Nick

12. lynchknot

yes but a very long time ago - delayed reaction? :D

Wouldn't you know it. Windows update no longer works. I have everything set correctly as well.

13. feddup

feddup Registered Member

I also know what it's like for a post to go unanswered. I'm running Prevx Pro and have had Dr. watson issues as well. I would have chimed in earlier but it would be nice if i fully understood my own problem before advising others. I almost fear that I went a little overkill on the defensive software and brought on my own problems. I like prevx but it seems rather picky about what company it keeps. Using safe xp to get rid of Dr. watson does seem to have helped but that's not a true solution. I wish I could be more help.

14. lynchknot

The strange thing is, this is very current. I never had this problem. I tried system restore and that still did not solve the problem. Another thing that may be related is "Unhackme" kept reporting that it was unable to create a shell notification. I have uninstalled it.

15. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Try contacting Prevx support . They have been very responsive to me in the past . And a new version is due anytime . Possible bug . If so , may have been fixed . Contact them and let them know the problem

16. lynchknot

Thanks and done - e-mail sent. ;)

17. hollywoodpc

Good Luck and , if you find the time , could you let us know what they say ? Thank you regardless .

18. lynchknot

Of course! :cool: - It may be useful to someone experiencing a similar/same problem.

19. hollywoodpc

:D ;) ;) ;) :)

20. dog

dog Guest

Hi Lynchknot, ;)

I don't want this to go OT from PrevX issue, but in regards to Windows Updates no longer working. Make sure you also restart BITS (Background Transfer Service). You need both Automatic Updates and BITS started and running to use the service, once the update is complete, stop and disable both services.

Steve

21. lynchknot

I know this Dog and they are both set to auto (and started) but still same message. :D

22. dog

dog Guest

Hmmm ... strange indeed :doubt:

(Sorry to continue this OT ... but if this issue remains unresolved after this post, maybe start a new thread, to get more eyes on the problem)

Are you running anything that might block/interrupt Windows Update (I'm not sure if Merijn's Bugoff may cause a problem) but anything else such as SafeXP etc., although these utilities only basically take the same route as disabling those services, it may still cause an issue.

The only other things (not mentioned so far) I believe the Windows Update site requires is active scripting and cookies. Do you have those enabled in your trusted zone, with the Update URL listed?

Sorry, I can't think of anything else. :(

Steve

23. lynchknot

It was disabled (update not background) in services - how? I do not know because I never disabled it. It was checked elsewhere as "on". Anyway, do you know how I can enable messenger so I can go to add/remove windows apps?

http://img57.exs.cx/img57/792/mess7jy.jpg

This may be on topic because I'm thinking there is a service removed that I need to enable in add/remove that relates to this:

**edit - interesting..

http://img222.exs.cx/img222/5859/prevtroj5yu.jpg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  24. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Lynchknot,

Don't worry about the "Symbol file could not be found" error message in the log. All that is telling you is that Dr. Watson doesn't have the "symbols" associated with LIBCOM.DLL. Symbols are things like function & variable names that are defined in the human readable source code, but are not in the compiled binaries. When you compile code you can tell the compiler to spit out pdb files that contain all of this extra symbol info, that way when and if you ever need to debug an executable, the debugger can present actual function names in the stack trace rather than essentially meaningless numeric offsets.

The thing I find most interesting in regards to your problem is the Application Error message in your first post. If you look at it, the instruction address and the read access address are the same! For some reason the instruction at 0x66006041 is trying to read itself! I'm not sure why that would occur or what's causing it. I don't run PrevX myself, so I can't help much I'm afraid. Any ideas on what functionality LIBCOM.DLL provides? Any useful tidbits in the Properties | Version | Description field for it?

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help. :(

25. lynchknot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.