downloading unlinked public files on a server?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dustdevil, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dustdevil

dustdevil Registered Member

Hi all,

Is it possible to know what public files are on a server even though the admin didn't post their download links on whatever.html?

For example, someone has 20 pdf files on his FTP server, and they are all meant to be accessed by the public through HTTP. However, one of the files's download link is broken, but I'm pretty sure the file exists, and the admin probably mispelled the name of that file. Can I get the file without guessing the correct URL?

Thanks.

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi dustdevil,

I'm curious as to why you'd want to guess at all. Why not just report the broken link to the Admin. If they want the file(s) to be available for the public to download, then they'd appreciate a notification that one of their links were broken.

3. dustdevil

Hi snapdragin,

I did report (half a month ago) and got no reply. I'm asking here because I'm suddenly reminded that if the files are publicly accessible, then there must be a legal way to see those files. (like the dir command for local files)

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

If the file is not listed correctly on an actual webpage, and if the webserver does not allow an index listing of available files by simply browsing to the directory, then all you can do is either guess the file name, or report the broken link again and hope they fix it.

5. dustdevil

hi LowWaterMark,

If the webserver does allow directory browsing, how do I do it when index.html is always in the way? (when I type the directory of that site, I would see "index of /" if index.html is not here.)

take my page as an example:
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/hru/

I have an index.html in this directory, but also a file called file1.txt. How would you know file1.txt exists on my server when I have index.html?

6. securityx

securityx Registered Member

Dustdevil,

Download this program:
    Offline Explorer Pro from MetaProducts.

It allows you to put in the starting address and it gets everything on that domain that is not password protected. If it is password protected, and you have the password (purchase, etc.) it will get all that too.

30-day free evaluation with nothing crippled.

Excellent program for offline browsing. ;)

---securityx---

7. dustdevil

Thanks a lot, securityx. Your answer is by far the best I've got from all of the forums on which I asked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.