Downloading Song Lyrics...Help!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

It seemed for a while there that the combination of XP and Firefox were allowing me to surf the internet and find what I needed to find.

Now I keep having to use new versions of everything. In this case I am using
    Vista and Firefox and more and more often am finding it hard to simply save text to a document in order to save some information permanently, and not have to look it up every time I need it.

Tonight I wanted to try some Smashing Pumpkins songs on this funky little karaoke machine I have, so I wanted to copy the lyrics of a few songs so I could read-sing them. On a couple of sights I tried it seemed like I could not select the text so that I could copy it to a word processor.

This is exactly the kind of crap that makes me angry. Tasks that were simple a couple years ago, instead of becoming easier, become harder. I suppose in a couple years I won't even be able to read my email!

Has anyone else come up against this sort of thing? Is there a way to get back to the internet being a useful resource? Thanks, in advance!

-HandsOff

2. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I used to get it alot in Firefox with early versions. Most of the time, even though I could not right click, select copy from context menu, I could hit keys Ctrl + C and it would work.

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

disable javascript on those sites and try or take it out of the google cache page

4. HandsOff

Thanks for your responses, and sorry I have not gotten back to you!

GregS - Yes, I have had that experience as well. In this case it did not help, though.

Cudni - Take it out of the Google cache page is something I have not tried. When I enter a search term, I get a list of results. I see that for each result you can click on "Cached". I assume if you click on the main link instead (which is what I do) it would be uncached. I'm not sure what the difference is. I would guess the theory might be that the cached page will retrieve faster, however, not necessarily be up to date, but that is a total guess. If so, this might be a very useful feature, and thanks for bringing it up!

-HandsOff

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  5. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

You could try using the Vista Snipping Tool :doubt:

The lyrics would actually be saved as a picture.
    But if you stick them in say a Word Document - Maybe stretch them out a bit if the words are small - Then save and print!

Rather than using Copy & Paste.. I've used the Vista Snipping Tool in this way before ;)

Zeena

6. HandsOff

Thanks, Zeena!

Another practical solution, and I have done this to, only with "Snag-it" , an application that has that ability. The thing is, although I lack the necessary skills, I always find myself thinking in terms of amassing huge amounts of data that will always be at my fingertips. Ten years from now (if I have been happily karaoke-ing away, I would like to have all of the thousands of songs I have looked up stored as lyrics, sortable, and searchable! I just want to be able to do it!

"Oh, no, I've said too much"
    -REM

Thanks, again!
    -HandsOff

7. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

If it's Vista Home Premium that you've got.
    You should find the Snipping Tool in...
    1) Start
    2) All Programs
    3) Accessories
    4) Snipping Tool

Tip!
    If you open Vista's Help & Support ( In Start Menu ) and search Snipping Tool .. It should give you a good guide to using the Snipping Tool :thumb:

What I Do!
    1/ Take the Snip of Words
    2/ Open Office Word 2007
    3/ Type a Title.. eg. : Smashing Pumpkins
    4/ Click.. Insert
    5/ Click.. Picture
    6/ Browse through my Pictures until I find the one I want.
    Then once I've got the picture of Words/Text in my Word Document...
    7/ Grab the sides or the corner of the picture of words to pull it or push it to the right size.
    Tip!
    Text Wrapping...
    Tight
    Then Think Its...
    Change Text Wrapping :doubt:
    Seems to give greater control when moving pictures around in Word.
    When you're happy with your work...
    8/ Save the Word Document just like you would if you had typed the lyrics yourself ;)
    Example... Save As - Smashing Pumpkins Lyrics :D

Zeena

8. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

9. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Right click in FF's menu bar - Customize - then drag and drop the copy and paste icons to the left of the address bar.

10. HandsOff

Thanks for all of the ideas! I will take a closer look this evening. In general, I am afraid some of the pages are simply put together with images of text, and not with actual text. But I am not web page savvy, and honestly, I would not be able to say by "revealing codes" or "viewing the source" or whatever else educated people do!

One thing I thought I might through out there is a general lament about how come it isn't easier for some sort of OCR driven application, maybe even adobe acrobat to muscle through these things and convert them to text. For a short time I tried a few things, but it seemed to generate so many mistakes that I could have re-typed the pages in question with less effort.

On a lighter note I think I am going to change my signature to the REM quote I used above. I'm sure there are some people who will smile at the appropriateness of it!

-HandsOff

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I don't know if you're only interested in the particular case with lyrics - these can be had in a few websites - or some general problem with keeping things you see 'out there'.

To keep some webpage, or indeed a whole website (!), i don't take a picture of the screen, hell noes :p
    You have 2 good possibilities for that:
    Scrapbook/Scrapbook Plus Firefox addons (i use the Plus version);
    Httrack (a really good program).

The lyrics can be automaticaly downloaded by your media player if it has that feature. For instance, for Windows there's the excellent foobar2000 (probably some addon), for Linux Amarok has that feature built-in.
    There are many more of course, these are just examples of programs that i personally like.

Is this the kind of feedback you were looking for?

12. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.