Downloading Latest Version of Winzip

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by BeanCounter, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeanCounter

BeanCounter Registered Member

Attempts to download the latest version of Winzip from:

http://www.winzip.com/tmm-update.htm

are blocked by NOD32 BE 4.2.76.0 (signature 7096) for multiple unspecified reasons.

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hey BeanCounter
    Eset blocks the download because it detects potentially unwanted programs, (A potentially unwanted application is a program that contains adware, installs toolbars or has other unclear objectives) I have taken some screen captures of the programs Eset detects in the download.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  3. ESS3

ESS3 Registered Member

Kaspersky Security scan - Win32/Fake AV. 100%! :D :)

4. BeanCounter

BeanCounter Registered Member

Thanks. It would have been nice if NOD32 had provided some more detail on why the download was blocked

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Details would be nice but I doubt they will be added any time soon. The complexity of doing so would probably cause more problems that it solved. I vote for it if it is reasonable to do so.

As far as WinZip is concerned, I am really unhappy with this. I bought a "lifetime" license 15 years ago and then the company changed hands. Now it's an annual subscription. As if that wasn't bad enough, they add crapware to the installer. I could understand if it were freeware. But it isn't. :mad:

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

When ESET's software is configured to detect potentially unwanted applications (PUAs), it typically does identify the exact PUA found when scanning a file. However, if the file contains several different PUAs it will just report that multiple items were found, since the user interface does not currently have the ability to display a list of all of the detected objects.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The detection is correct. The package contains 2 applications classified as potentially unwanted and the classification is correct. It's not FP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.