downloading files through TOR.

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by EncryptedBytes, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

Hello all,

I have a question about downloading files through Tor browser. I am just talking about downloading simply off a website or email. I have on a few occasions been prompted when trying to download an attachment etc, that external programs will have to be used when I try to save the files on my desktop which are not protected by Tor. Though I simply just use the browser to download the files, the actual programs that use them do not launch or run so what is this external program the tor browser bundle keeps alerting me to?:doubt:

2. I no more

I no more Registered Member

I don't use the Tor browser bundle, but when I'm using Firefox with Torbutton active, I get this same alert when left-clicking a file to download it. When right-clicking, I don't get the message. I'm guessing left-clicking to download causes Firefox to launch "something".

When not using Torbutton (but still using Tor securely), I don't get that message at all.

I think it's basically a Torbutton message, and I wouldn't worry about it.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi EncryptedBytes,

Have you tried to right-click the file(s) and select Save-As with Torbutton enabled in your browser? As long as Torbutton is enabled and your check your browser network connections to have HTTP_PROXY set to the Tor port (i.e. 127.0.0.1, Tor port) - then the external applications when given the http address of the file should go through Tor.

Better yet, if the external download application either has or can be replaced by a Firefox plugin like DownThemAll! or FlashGot then you won't need the external application - the download will just work through the browser via the plugin to do the work.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.